How much should I expect to pay to have my front bumper cover painted?

magicman1215

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a front bumper cover that is primed and ready for paint for $85 or one that is already painted for $240 (shipping included on both). Both items are from eBay and seem reasonable, though I'm worried that the seller will charge a $75 "up charge" for my paint code because the listing stated that "tri-colored" paint codes would be charged this fee. Considering my color code is for the Nighthawk black pearl "B92P" It's probably considered "tri-colored". If I add the $75, then it comes out to $315! So, basically does anybody think that's reasonable or should I be able to get the primered bumper painted for less than $230. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Get the primered 1 n have it color matched that way it will all look the same color. The painted bumper might not look the same color as ur car considering our cars r over 10 years old

magicman1215

Reaction score
Get the primered 1 n have it color matched that way it will all look the same color. The painted bumper might not look the same color as ur car considering our cars r over 10 years old

Thanks, but what would you say is a reasonable price to have the bumper painted? Just curious before I start shopping around...

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Just spraying paint and clear coat should cost $150-$200

Prepping, primer, paint, and clearcoat should be near $300

magicman1215

Reaction score
Just spraying paint and clear coat should cost $150-$200

Prepping, primer, paint, and clearcoat should be near $300

Well the one for $85 states that it's primered and ready to be painted and the one for $240 is painted and clear coated. So that's basically $155 for the paint alone I suppose. I asked the seller if I was gonna to be charged the $75 up charge I mentioned above, but he has yet to respond. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Any other input and/or calling around for local estimates will probably help me make up my mind. Anybody know any reputable yet inexpensive paint shops in the central Florida area??? Thanks again guys!

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know any reputable yet inexpensive paint shops in the central Florida area??? Thanks again guys!

You get for what you pay for. The word reputable and cheap does not go together in this industry. You either pay a cheap price, and get a ****ty paint job with fisheyes, runs, and dirt, or you pay a fair price and get a good paint job from a reputable shop that provides good consistent outcomes.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Like 20-CG5-01 said u could prob get it all done up 4 around $250-$300??? Call around I'm sure a local shop could give u a quote over the phone. But get the primered 1 don't get the 1 w/ a nice factory paint job cuz it won't match ur car. Your other option is 2 find 1 @ a local wrecking yard/pick n pull/ auto recycler what ever u guys have out there in Florida. They might just have what u need

magicman1215

Reaction score
You get for what you pay for. The word reputable and cheap does not go together in this industry. You either pay a cheap price, and get a ****ty paint job with fisheyes, runs, and dirt, or you pay a fair price and get a good paint job from a reputable shop that provides good consistent outcomes.

I understand what you're saying, but I never used the word cheap. I said inexpensive.:action-smiley-042: so what would you say is a fair price?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend you to do some research on body shops around your area for good consistent reviews, and not just an average joe shop. Painting any part properly takes time, and time equals money spent on wages for employees, not including materials yet, overhead bills, insurance, etc.

I do not know the hourly charge for your area, but in my area the on going rate atm is 80-95/hr. A repaint of a whole bumper would cost someone 7-800 at the body shop I work for currently.

The numbers are broken down to this process:

Sand bumper
Mask bumper for areas that don't want overspray
Color tint:Which means to try to match the bumper with the current condition of the paint
Sealer
Primer
Base coat
Clear
Dry sand with DA
Hit all areas with fisheye, runs in the clear
Wet sand with DA
Compound
Polish
Wax

Ohsojdm

Reaction score
i'd say go with the primed one simply because if you get the already painted one you'll still have to pay so that they could blend the new paint with the older paint which may end up costing you more all together then the primed bumper

Back