i have a check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudeNsoL

Reaction score
hey i just got my accord and a day ago my cel came on. i got it checked
P1457-EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System)
how can i go about fixing this. i dont really want to take it to a shop. thanks for the help

F23A1AT

Reaction score
go to the nearest auto parts store and look for a book called Haynes repair manual, find the one for our cars. I can't tell you how to fix it, but chances are that book will.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You need to make sure when your putting your gas cap on that you make it click atleast 3 times. Sometimes a bad gas cap will cause a vapor leak and throw that code, sometimes its the charcol canister. What you need to do is:

1. Tighten your gas cap
2. Unplug your negative battery terminal
3.Count to about 30 seconds
4.Put your negative terminal back on
5.drive your car for a while to see if it comes back on

If it comes back on, try buying a new gas cap. It's real cheap. Once you've done that, repeat the steps 1-5. If the CEL comes back on, you need to find the source of the leak. Your car needs to sustain a negative atmospheric pressure inside the gas tank to properly send fuel to your engine, that is why you have received this notification from your Engine Control Unit.

Last edited:

[email protected].

Reaction score
I went through the same thing, same code. If you're not getting an emission check soon, you can drive it like that w/o hurting anything. The gas cap advice is a good place to start in case that is actually the problem. If it's not, just return it.

Chances are, it's the shut-valve on the cannister, which is just ahead of the rear wheel on the driver's side. It's not such a bad job; disconnect the hoses to the cannister, take it off, and replace the shut-valve. The problem lies in how the shut-valve is mounted to the cannister; there are threaded inserts in the cannister, and it can be impossible to back out the screws. If you mess up the inserts, you might end up buying the cannister.

I forget where my shut-valve came from, but it was about $50 online.

LudeNsoL

Reaction score
thanks ima try the gas cap first i can just buy any gas cap or it has to be from the dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back