I need a DIY on replacing the AC Compressor

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Does anybody have a DIY on this? I've tried searching for one but no luck. I have come to find out though that I will need to evacuate the system before starting this job and taking it back to a shop to get it recharged. This is no big deal for me. The big deal is saving me the $850 I've been quoted on for replacing the bad compressor, low-side shrader valve / tube, evacuate & recharge, and labor costs.

I've already ordered the parts and will have them by Wednesday, so I'm going through with this.

I just can't seem to find a DIY on how to replace the compressor. I'd rather do this myself than have my dad help me out like he did with the timing belt and water pump

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ever changed an alternator?

Same idea once you evacuate the system of the freon. It's just disconnecting lines, loosening the tensioner, unbolting it from its bracket and voila - done. Reverse the process to install.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Not on this car. I've done the alternator in my 1997 T-Bird.

I guess my question on how to get the AC compressor is on how to get to it. Do I get to it from the wheel or under the car? How do I get to the tensioner pulley to remove the serpentine belt?

tegpower18

Reaction score
Im going to assume your referring to a 3.0 Its accessed underneath the car. Do yourself a solid and buy a haynes manual from autozone it will help you a ton.

Back