Ignition Switch or ground issue???

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
So we are over at church, go to start the car and... nothing.
Not the battery this time, fairly new, connections are good. Alternator is fairly new...

Symptoms:
Turning the key to run all the dash lights come on as normal.
Turning the key to start all the lights go out except for 3 idiot lights that are just flickering. No clicking from the start relay. I release the key.

There is a funny high pitched hissing sound (the sound a capacitor might make before it blows up) coming from the dash somewhere for a few seconds then the dash lights come back on with a click that seems to come from the steering column or speedo area.

Tried this a few times same result.
Turn the key over same thing once, then on the second time it fires right up like nothing is wrong.

I push fate and turn it off and use the wifes key (more worn) Dead as a doornail for 5-6 goes, not even the rapid clicking sound of an expired battery. Jiggle the key around and bingo it fires right up - voom.

Our 2000 is not supposed to have the ignition switch problem. Could this be the ignition switch (90%) or a bad ground (10%) or both or???

I'm putting the ground in here because I have seen other things like flickering lights with the wipers on, Ventilator fan speed dropping then coming back up, specially when slowing down.

I hate electrical problems.
Rich

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Great
I have read and copied out the DIY to replace the switch.
Is it find 10 in the parts diagram?
Ignitionswitch.gif

Do I need to replace the keys? or is that controlled by find 17 or the un-numbered part of assembly find 2?

The part number seems to have been updated from the DIY thread
IS
35130-S84-A01
WAS
35130-S84-305

I might have to go to the local stealer as well as we have rellies coming by in a few days and even southbay honda can't deliver in that timeframe.
I'll just have to suck it up and pay MSRP+10% instead of MSRP-30%. If they have one in stock!

Do these switches have the word "LUCAS" anywhere on them???

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
You only need #10. Should be in stock at any dealer, but I can guarantee you they are closed today and tomorrow. Try Saturday though. Don't know if they say Lucas on them, why does it matter?

#17 is the immobilizer antenna that energizes the chip in the key and receives the signal. #2 is the entire lock cylinder/ignition switch/immobilizer antenna set.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
For some Christmas humor... google " lucas prince of darkness "

For seemingly hundreds of years Lucas has been known thruout the world as a leader in crummy electronic parts. People have been swearing at them for years. Everyone in europe has been on the receiving end of their poor products for ages.

I recently found a light switch with their name on it in our now departed Plymouth acclaim. It didn't work.

I'm expecting to see them discover the problem with the channel tunnel trains to come down to 1 or 2 products supplied by Lucas.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Well, the stealership was open and wanted their 10% over MSRP as usual. The sales crew were not upto much, guess xmas eve is not that hot of a sales day. They had one in stock with the updated part number.

During the removal, I found the mysterious 3rd screw holding the plastic shield in place. It's on the right side of the column on top of the shield in the most unreachable spot they could dream up. That took a while to get out.

Almost as long as it took to get the bottom steering cover back on. Wonder how they do it at the factory. Perhaps the steering wheel isn't on, which would make it easier.

Anyway, after I got it all connected up it started right up.
Tried it again and click psssssssssss failed - bugger, it isn't the switch
Tried again, same story.
Then tried about 20 times after that and it fired up fine.

Can it be the start motor or start solenoid? The motor spins fine when it goes

At the risk of repeating myself - I hate electrical problems
Rich

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
For some Christmas humor... google " lucas prince of darkness "

For seemingly hundreds of years Lucas has been known thruout the world as a leader in crummy electronic parts. People have been swearing at them for years. Everyone in europe has been on the receiving end of their poor products for ages.

I recently found a light switch with their name on it in our now departed Plymouth acclaim. It didn't work.

I'm expecting to see them discover the problem with the channel tunnel trains to come down to 1 or 2 products supplied by Lucas.
LOL the worst part about that car was one light switch? :ugh: junked our 91 2.5L acclaim in 05...with 106k on it. dad bought it with less than 30k in 93.

turned about and bought my 98 accord with just under 125k. ironic? ya.

never had an issue with its electronics...only like 3 or 4 mufflers...no A/C since 98 or so...just a general **** pile car. after i bought my accord, my entire family has switched to honda/acura...now 5 cars among the 4 of us.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
<<the worst part about that car was one light switch?>>
No that bit was easy to replace, it just ticked me off that for years when you went to pull the stalk for high beam, the lights went out - no High - no low, just out

We bought the acclaim new in 91 and the first thing to fail was the odometer. When the trip meter hit 100 miles it stopped the odometer turning as well. After that it was downhill all the way. The engine and tranny were OK for a 2.5L I4, but everything else just failed around it.

The last straw came in January when the steering rack started leaking and while underneath, taking a look to see if I could replace it myself, I noticed green liquid dripping out the A/C drain... so the heater core was blown. That explained the smell. That was enough, replacing the core meant breaking into the R12 A/C - very expensive now. It was time.

I estimate we had 80-90K miles on it - why estimate, cause the warantee replacement speedo failed again at 60K. So thanks for the memories, but never a chrysler again - nevr nevr nevr.

We are currently finding out if Toyotas are any good with a pair of scion Xb's

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i cant even list all the issues with that car (and my parents 92 voyager...and the 95 voyager...and the next 95 voyager)...

sold my grandma's 95 spirit last summer with 35k on it. got $1500...only...

even if i got a viper for free, i might drive it around for a week or two then sell it. Chrysler :boo:

Back