I'm going j35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Oh man...

Bro haha I'm not the one building it. I'm pretty much just funding it, my friend is the mechanic who's building it, dropping it in, and teaching me. It's my first car and im learning as I go. Be easy with me.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Piston size

nope.

You need the J35 Crankshaft and Piston Rods to yield the 3.5 litre displacement.

j32 and j35 blocks have the same cylinder Bore Size ~ 89mm(3.5 inches)

J32 stroke is 86mm(3.4 inches)
J35 stroke is 93mm(3.7 inches)

J32 rod length ~ 161.8mm
J35 rod length ~ 158.5mm

here's the formula:
Displacement = 3.14(PI) x (bore / 2 )2nd{power} x stroke x number of cylinders
3.14 x 1980.25mm x 93mm x 6

we get 3469635.63mm3rd{power}
we need to convert this to cm or CC's.

divide 3469635.63 by 1000 = 3469 cc's

divide 3469 again by 1000 to get the litre = 3.469(these numbers are rounded in the car world. So we get 3.5)

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Piston size

nope.

You need the J35 Crankshaft and Piston Rods to yield the 3.5 litre displacement.

j32 and j35 blocks have the same cylinder Bore Size ~ 89mm(3.5 inches)

J32 stroke is 86mm(3.4 inches)
J35 stroke is 93mm(3.7 inches)

J32 rod length ~ 161.8mm
J35 rod length ~ 158.5mm

here's the formula:
Displacement = 3.14(PI) x (bore / 2 )2nd{power} x stroke x number of cylinders
3.14 x 1980.25mm x 93mm x 6

we get 3469635.63mm3rd{power}
we need to convert this to cm or CC's.

divide 3469635.63 by 1000 = 3469 cc's

divide 3469 again by 1000 to get the litre = 3.469(these numbers are rounded in the car world. So we get 3.5)

Thanks man! Holy **** u know a lot. So should I get a j32a2 for $500 and convert it to a 3.5 like mikeymike did? Or should i get a j35a4 for $500 and work on it from there. Just bare with me I'm a noob who really wants to learn and some day build cars like you guys do.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Thanks man! Holy **** u know a lot. So should I get a j32a2 for $500 and convert it to a 3.5 like mikeymike did? Or should i get a j35a4 for $500 and work on it from there. Just bare with me I'm a noob who really wants to learn and some day build cars like you guys do.

It really depends on your budget and what set up you want. What you can find, etc.

we know the J32A2 heads have the bigger intake valve, so that will yield a lil more hp/tq vs. the A3/A4 heads. so, if you wanna run those heads you would need to pick up a J32A2 or just pick up a set of A2 cylinder heads.

You're gonna spend more money if you buy a J32A2 complete, then have to pick up a Crankshaft and piston connecting rods for a J35 vs simply picking up a J35 from the start.
From here, assuming you pick up the J35, your going to have the block inspected, hot tanked(cleaned) and the cylinder walls honed. Crankshaft inspected and cleaned, etc. Connecting rods inspected and reconditioned -- IF you wanna go that route

Assuming all your J35 block and internals are good you could use those parts OR:
worst case scenario, you can't use the block and any or all of the internals due to damaged cylinder walls or some kinda other problem. You would then need to spend more money buying a NEW crankshaft, connecting rods.
** Don't reuse the used pistons and piston rings, buy these new.

you see where I'm going with this?

Personally I would buy ALL NEW low end, but that is an expensive route. Pick up a set up heads and have them tore down, cleaned, ported and polished.
Your going to have to buy almost all new componets for the low end so, if you could afford buying 100% new low end, go that route.
you would need:
New oil pump, water pump, pistons, piston rings, crankshaft bearings, main bearings, timing belt tensioners...

** This is where my knowledge begins to END.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Bro haha I'm not the one building it. I'm pretty much just funding it, my friend is the mechanic who's building it, dropping it in, and teaching me. It's my first car and im learning as I go. Be easy with me.

Your friend, who you stated has never worked with J series motors, is going to teach you. Bad idea. You need to be the knowledgeable one, and bring him the documented knowledge he needs to do the labor. Otherwise this is going to go horribly wrong, and you will be standing there looking at your dismantled car, wishing you had never messed with it in the first place.

Last edited:

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
your friend, who you stated has never worked with j series motors, is going to teach you. Bad idea. You need to be the knowledgeable one, and bring him the documented knowledge he needs to do the labor. Otherwise this is going to go horribly wrong, and you will be standing there looking at your dismantled car, wishing you had never messed with it in the first place.

qft

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Bro haha I'm not the one building it. I'm pretty much just funding it, my friend is the mechanic who's building it, dropping it in, and teaching me. I

Your friend, who you stated has never worked with J series motors, is going to teach you. Bad idea. You need to be the knowledgeable one, and bring him the documented knowledge he needs to do the labor. Otherwise this is going to go horribly wrong, and you will be standing there looking at your dismantled car, wishing you had never messed with it in the first place.

He's researching it on v6p. His dads a master mechanic and taught him a lot; he dropped his b20 in a civic by himself when he was 14! I have 100% faith in him. He's working on his 350 small block 87 Monte SS turning it into a drag car as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back