i'm washing my engine whatparts should I stay away from????

leviathann

Reaction score
I'm planning on hosing down my v6 engine. are there any parts I should stay away from, cover?

I'm planning to use simple green but what i'm really worried about is wetting something I shouldn't and causing problems.

Any advice?

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
copied from scottwax

1. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Cold engines are harder to remove grease and oil from.

2. Cover your distributor (if you do not know what or where it is, get a manual for your car), alternator and fuse box. Most electronics under your hood are adequately sealed for rain water splashing up on them, but high pressure water is another story.

3. Cut Simple Green 50/50 with water and spray liberally all over your engine and engine bay. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If your engine is really dirty, then after the 5 minutes, spray it down again and wait an additional 5 minutes.

4. Spray the engine and engine bay with high pressure rinse water-but even though your distributer may be covered, still use lower pressure around it to be on the safe side.

5. Any remaining grime, spray again with 50/50 cut of Simple Green, and use a stiff brush if needed. Rinse again.

6. Remove the plastic coverings and start the engine. Let it run until it is dry. You will have to dry the painted surfaces in the engine bay and the underside of the hood with a towel.

7. Dress any hoses, etc you want with rubber/vinyl dressing.

8. Grab total strangers off the street and force them to admire your clean engine.

nexTOme

Reaction score
basically, fusebox, alt, starter, batter, dizzy, cap, spark plug, plug wires

dynasty

Reaction score
technically, you don't have to cover all those. all i did was cover the battery, fuse box, and my aftermarket intake filter. other than that, don't use high pressure hose.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I want to add, that if you have an HID system, you may want to cover the ballasts/electronics for those as well.. it would suck to get them ruined. Hope that helps too.

confuseid

Reaction score
This is MY way, which is wrong apparently. Or everybody else is wrong. Or we're all right. Or we're all wrong.

Earlier today I did mine with my friend who works at a detailing shop, We just sprayed WD40, Also known as WATER DISPLACEMENT 40 liberally on everything electrical.

Then we used his pressure hose and sprayed everything down. We didn't cover anything.

My car works fine. His does too. Oh and by the way, HID ballasts are supposed to be 100% waterproof. There's videos documenting this. Underwater and still working.

Anyways. My 2 cents.

Back