Inner Tail Lights As Brake Lights?

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Well to start I wasn't too sure where to post this but I am guessing this will be electrical in nature so I put it here..

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to make the inner trunk-mounted tail lights to work as brake lights? I mean when you turn them on during night-time driving, they stay the same brightness when you press the brake. I was thinking if it was possible to make them function similar to the outer brake lights, which are dimmer and brighten up as you press the brakes.

Anyone done this before? I tried to search this up but I am not sure how to word it properly so I did not get any definite results.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
It's just wiring. So it can be done in your case. Just mimic the outer tailights wiring and, boom.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
It's going to take some modding of the taillights, replacing the bulbs, plugs, & wiring.
If I'm not mistaken modding the inner lights will make them flash with the turn signals as well as turn on when braking. Idk if that's a good thing or not :thinking:

drax89

Reaction score
I did this mod on my sedan....Im assuming you have a sedan too as the coupes inners are already dual function. Just get 2 extra bulbs and bulb sockets from the outer tails along with some extra wiring....grind on the socket hole of the inner tails and maybe the socket itself w a dremel until you get it to fit snugly...the donor socket should have 3 wires instead of the existing sockets 2....one for parking, one for brakes, and one ground....connect the existing 2 ...then splice the 3rd into your outer tails brakes...loosely connect , then check to make sure it works before taping or heat tubing all your connections together. Ive done this mod on several cars front turn signals as well w no problems ...just make sure no opposing wires touch each other if your not disconnecting the battery or youll blow a fuse or your bulbs....only tools youll need are a wire stripper and some electrical tape or heat shrink tubing

drax89

Reaction score
Forgot to mention ...The hardest part is running the wire from the inners to the outers as you have to run it towards the back seat then over to the outside edge of car while maintaining the trunks functionality....I used the existing split tube and ran the wires thru that

KombatVirus

Reaction score
I did this mod on my sedan....Im assuming you have a sedan too as the coupes inners are already dual function. Just get 2 extra bulbs and bulb sockets from the outer tails along with some extra wiring....grind on the socket hole of the inner tails and maybe the socket itself w a dremel until you get it to fit snugly...the donor socket should have 3 wires instead of the existing sockets 2....one for parking, one for brakes, and one ground....connect the existing 2 ...then splice the 3rd into your outer tails brakes...loosely connect , then check to make sure it works before taping or heat tubing all your connections together. Ive done this mod on several cars front turn signals as well w no problems ...just make sure no opposing wires touch each other if your not disconnecting the battery or youll blow a fuse or your bulbs....only tools youll need are a wire stripper and some electrical tape or heat shrink tubing

I dont understand the purpose of 2 extra bulbs/sockets?

blackcord

Reaction score

I have been planning this mod for a long time now and I hope to get it done within the next couple of weeks.

Your original inner lights only got 194 sockets (i.e. those peanut bulbs). You need a pair or 7443 sockets and wire those to the outer socket wire as mentioned previously.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Repped drax.

By extra he means replacements, because the inner needs a new bulb as mentioned above, and the current bulb/wiring only has a dim lead. Adding the third wire (bright lead) will enable you to convert that section to light up when braking.

Back