Instrument Cluster Tachometer and Speedometer not working

Souryu

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I actually just created an account here, but that's besides the point. I need help:

I finished taking my instrument cluster out for the last time because I wanted to put a new plastic lens on it, then I would never take it out again (I did an LED conversion and clear blue painted the needles)

However, today, when I put the cluster back in and started my car, all of the lights worked and EVERYTHING was fine in my car, but the speedometer nor the tachometer worked. I even drove it around for awhile to see if it would, but it didn't.

I really need help with this. Does anyone know what it could be? I checked the fuses and they're fine. This has never happened before and I've removed the cluster several times before.

Thank you.

Souryu

Reaction score
What did you do?

I literally took it out, put clear blue paint on the needles (very softly and lightly) and changed the plastic lens on the front of the cluster. Nothing else. I've always treated the cluster with great care, but now the speedometer and tachometer wont work. Everything else works just fine. The gas gauge and the heat gauge are just peachy.

I looked at the wire harness to see if any of the connections had any issues and im not finding anything. Then again, it is kinda dark now.

Craize

Reaction score
I would double check your connections in the back of the cluster when its light out tomorrow. Both motors for those needles share power and grounds.

Souryu

Reaction score
I would double check your connections in the back of the cluster when its light out tomorrow. Both motors for those needles share power and grounds.

Alright, what should I be looking for? If they're slightly pulled out or what?

Souryu

Reaction score
look for pushed out pins in the wire harness and bent pins in the cluster.

I don't see pins or anything pushed out. Everything looks to be in order. If I could find a wiring diagram of the cluster that'd be great, because then I could test the motor wire

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sounds sticky.

Either borrow/get new to see if it works, dvom it, reinstal cluster w/o cover check needle pressure w/ fingers.

Souryu

Reaction score
Sounds sticky.

Either borrow/get new to see if it works, dvom it, reinstal cluster w/o cover check needle pressure w/ fingers.

Yeah things have been pissing me off. I just popped my tire last night because a pipe was in the middle of the road after I turned out of this girls house last night...

Anyways, I can get a new cluster and check it but what is dvom?

Back