Interchanging HID kits

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
I've recently ordered an 8000k HID kit from Xenon depot and I already have a 10000k kit from Pilot HID's on my headlights. My question is would there be any way to just use the new 8000k bulbs with Pilot's ballasts or would that be risking something? I could very well take out the entire system and replace it with the new one but I'd like to save some time if I could get the same results.

10000k, albeit looking cool, really does suck in the rain people. :bash:

dynasty

Reaction score
some ballast might be different. the problem isn't the voltage but the ampage. cheapo HID kit has low power, which is what i have, compare to more expensive one, it's brighter. it all depends mostly on ballast. that's just my thoughts though. to me, i would just take the risk and do it because if it does burn, you have another pair of bulbs to replace it.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I would say it depends on how much you paid for each kit. If the one you have in your car right now was $70, and the new one you bought was $200 or something, then I would swap out the entire new kit in there. If both were <$100 then I would just change the bulbs.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
Just go ahead and swap them out as a whole unit that way you don't have to worry about issues further down the road with them not being 100% compatible with each other

dynasty

Reaction score
any reason why you just want to swap the bulbs only and not the full kit? to be on the safe side, i would swap the whole kit like everyone else said.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
any reason why you just want to swap the bulbs only and not the full kit? to be on the safe side, i would swap the whole kit like everyone else said.

Well I'd need some time to take my front end off and take out the old kit and swap in the new one. I've never actually done that before because I had a friend help me put in the old one. So I'm trying to find a day that I can do all this, but swapping the bulbs would take like a couple minutes.

A-cord

Reaction score
yes might as well just swap out the entire kit. cause if somethign goes wrong with just putting the bulbs in.. you're stuck with the 10k bulbs now

installing HID's is easy. i was a total noob when it came to hooking up ballasts and harnesses. but when they say it's plug and play it's literally plug and play.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
yes might as well just swap out the entire kit. cause if somethign goes wrong with just putting the bulbs in.. you're stuck with the 10k bulbs now

installing HID's is easy. i was a total noob when it came to hooking up ballasts and harnesses. but when they say it's plug and play it's literally plug and play.

Yeah once I get the front end off, which I've done like a million times by now, I'll just see how its hooked up and repeat the steps with the new ones.

Latest posts

Back