Is this normal tie rod play? *vid inside*

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
98 Accord LX-V6. Just want to get the fact out first.

Woke up this morning, thinking if I want to take a long trip this memorial weekend, I'd better get my tie rod done. OH well....here is the rest of the story.

Initially, I was going to replace both the inner and outer. But once I got the inner off, found out the new inner tie rod is not a direct fit! :explode: It just won't go in. I had to put the old inner back in and only replaced the outer.

Anyway, after I got done, I check for my own work. I put a big 12" wrench on the outer to turn it. It turns with the inner tie rod. Is this normal? Is it supposed to turn at all? The adjustment nut and ball joint castle nut are tightened down. But the outer still turns with the inner. I don't know... should I tighten down further? If so, which nut?

http://youtu.be/Xw-BiaXKmYY

Last edited:

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
I am at the firestone, guess who bought a lifetime alignment 8 years ago? :)

Maybe I am just paranoid. But I don't recall having the same "turn" or "play" on the driver side...although my memory could serve me completely wrong.

Btw, I just asked the firestone guy, he was like "no-no"...there shouldn't be any turn or play at all. I then asked if I should tighten down the ball joint nut further...he said he will check for me. Hmm, what do others think? I know you guys know better!

slowrider87

Reaction score
I just finished my suspension and alignment course a month ago. Every tie-rod we replaced or adjusted had play. Its on a ball joint for the very reason of giving it the play it needs to move and pivot when the wheel is turned and/or the suspension is jounced upwards on a bump. If it didn't have some play it would snap. It shouldn't have a lot of play. and it shouldn't be super easy to turn. it should show a decent amount of resistance. If you needed the wrench to turn it and couldn't do it with your hand. You're fine. Even if you can do it with your hand but it's hard to you should be just fine.

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
yeap that's normal...Did you put a new washer in?

IMG_0036-2.jpg

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
That's the inner tie rod. As stated in OP, I didn't manage to get it replaced.

Btw, a word of caution, don't buy Driveworks inner tie rod. It doesn't fit!

slowrider87

Reaction score
Btw, a word of caution, don't buy Driveworks inner tie rod. It doesn't fit!

post that in the product review section... It's fine here too as it is your thread. but it may be more useful and better seen in that section...

Theres no "Steering components" Review thread that i saw so I'd start a part specific thread or try to start a "steering" related thread following the format of the other threads and then review that product.

Back