Issues at cold startup...

Reaction score
A few questions...

Is there any fuel leaking from anywhere? Do you smell gas under the hood, when popped and running? Annnnnd just to clarify, it's NOT when accelerating, but when coasting?

nhldogg

Reaction score
A few questions...

Is there any fuel leaking from anywhere? Do you smell gas under the hood, when popped and running? Annnnnd just to clarify, it's NOT when accelerating, but when coasting?

There is no fuel leaking at all only oil lol. There is no fuel smell under the hood either. Correct only when coasting at about 55 or so mph there is a slight sputter.

619rcr

Reaction score
Second issue, fuel pump woes:

In the morning at the first cold startup the car hesitates a little. Battery, alternator, and starter are all in good condition as well as the grounds / battery connections. The car also hesitates when it has 1/4 tank or less of fuel at a warm startup. I notice slight vibrations through the steering wheel when sitting at a red light whether the tank is full or below 1/4. I also notice a slight sputter when coasting down a hill or along a straight away. Me and my dad have always filled up with a quality fuel and have used a fuel injector cleaner / octane booster every oil change or so. I was wondering if these may be signs or a bad fuel pump or that mine is slowly going out?

!

Regarding your vibration issues, you probably have bad engine mounts. The most important two to chk would be left and right side mounts. I had a slight vibration and fixed it with new OEM drivers mount. With the fuel, I would not doubt you could have an injector or pump problem due to the milage. If you really want to, pay a shop to test the pressure and see what they find. I would also suggest cleaning the throttle body and intake completely. I disassembled mine at 135k and it was sludged really bad. Fuel system cleanings scrape the surface, but don't really get everything out.
Pic of my old F23 intake disassembled

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree. The best way to ensure things get cleaned out is to take them apart and clean them by hand. It shouldn't be your pump if you aren't having any problems at stops/take offs...

fayetvillain85

Reaction score
Also check ur fuel pump relay under the dash. I was having some starting problems in extreme heat/cold n after everything it ended up being the stupid relay going out.

Back