Issues with HID harnesses??

Mikey

Reaction score
Anyone having them? Awhile back, when I bought my HIDs, I got the relay harness. Just in case. Well, about 6 months ago, the harness bit the dust. I know I can run them without it(Im just a worry-wort) AND I know DDM has a lifetime warranty--its just easier, and quicker, to buy a new one.

I'm just curious if anyone is having, or has had, issues with DDM relay harnesses. It might be something we can bring to their attention. I had it maybe a year or so before it quit working. I changed the fuse and still nothing.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
There's no reason to worry about running without the relay. Actually I lied there are several theoretical reasons why you need it but from my real experience I have not ran into any trouble running w/o one. And I know many others as well.

You said the relay failed, why did you replace the fuse? If the fuse did not pop then it should still work. What you need to replace is the relay itself. Most likely ddm tuning used a cheaply made in china relay for their harness. You should replace it with a Bosch (brand) relay. They also go by other names that I do not recall at the moment.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
And the relay is the square black box where all the wires are connected it to. FYI if you don't know already.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^That’s good advice, check the relay Mike.

I ran the relay harness for the longest time when I had just 9006 bulbs. When I get my retro and started using D2S, using the harness was giving me issues. So I left it wired in, but the plugs aren’t used. I prefer to use it but have been running a couple years without it now, so you’re pretty safe not using it. Unless you have a lot of other stuff drawing power from the electricals like a sub, amp, etc.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Relays are cheap, and DDM has the absolute worst customer service ever. Just go to radio shack and get a new relay, or get rid of the whole thing all together .. I've been running 55w ballasts for a while now without a harness and I'm okay so far :)

Mikey

Reaction score
AGREED! The one time I called them, it was horrible. I swear, their customer service is just 3 dudes sitting in a room answering hundreds of phones calls a day. :furious:

I'll try it without. My wiring appears to be in good shape and I know the odds of it failing are slim. And the only thing I've got on the car now that wasn't on it when I got it are the fogs but I wired them up via Honda instructions so there's no drain there.

Bax

Reaction score
AGREED! The one time I called them, it was horrible. I swear, their customer service is just 3 dudes sitting in a room answering hundreds of phones calls a day. :furious:

At least they answered you... -__-

001Stunna

Reaction score
if using 35w ballast, just use the oem cars wiring and forget the harness(been going on 4+ years for me)
if using 55w ballast, you might be safer with the harness

Back