J-Series stroker build: RL J35A8 heads or J32A2 heads?

AndyD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently researching options of my build. I am looking to go with a 2002-2004 Ody crank, J32A2 block and RL pistons. I am wondering what I should go with for the heads/cams options.

Based on my research, some seem to prefer using RL cams over J32A2 cams. Same goes for the heads.

I'm looking to build a stroker motor to make the most tq and hp using mostly, if not all, stock parts from other engines.

Also, I read that the MDX J37A engine has a better designed intake manifold and throttle body. Do I have to look out for IMs from a particular year?

Same question goes for the RL engine. Any particular year range I need to stay within?

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Varnell

Reaction score
With just a stroke you're looking at 3.6L. Are you planning to boost?

You can also use the 2008 TL-S cams. Either way you'll need a spacer for the timing belt components. Good luck getting the TL-S valve springs as I bought all that were left in the country. It took a month to ship the rest from Japan.

The 2009 TL SH-AWD is the J37 Intake Manifold you're looking for. You'll also need the power rev racing IM adapter and gaskets.

For simplicity I went with the J37A4 crank, rods, and pistons. The bore increased from 89mm to 90mm (the factory limit for the J32A2 block) to make a 3.7L for the most NA power.

Last edited:

AndyD

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

So I am looking to buy a pre-built bottomend with the Ody crank, J32A2 block, and RL pistons. Now I'm trying to figure out what next to buy. I am wondering if I should just get an RL or J32A2 longblock to get some of the parts I need to complete this bottomend.

This will be an NA setup. Not a fan of turbos.

Varnell

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

So I am looking to buy a pre-built bottomend with the Ody crank, J32A2 block, and RL pistons. Now I'm trying to figure out what next to buy. I am wondering if I should just get an RL or J32A2 longblock to get some of the parts I need to complete this bottomend.

This will be an NA setup. Not a fan of turbos.

So you've already decided on the block? Do you mean you're now trying to decide on the heads/cams?

Edit: 1,000th post!

AndyD

Reaction score
Oh, yes, I should've mentioned that. Someone already has a pre-built bottomend they are selling locally. I am looking for the remaining parts to build an engine.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile getting a completely longblock of either the J32A2, TL J32A4, or RL J35A8 and taking it apart to get the heads and cams and such off to put on the bottomend I intend on buying. Hoping one of these longblocks will be the better option to build this bottomend.

I read suggestions where people prefer RL cams over Type S cams. Are RL heads the same, or better, than J32A2 heads?

Thanks for the help!

Varnell

Reaction score
^I've read just about every thread pertaining to J32/35/37 builds. I haven't seen any definitive evidence that the RL Cams are better. I went with the TL-S Cams because they are hollow.

I remember reading about people putting J32 heads on J35 and J37 engines to better flow. I can't seem to find them now. Most people just ask about hypothetical builds and never follow through or post results.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Are you sure those J35A8 heads will bolt up AND match the water jackets and oil channels on that J32A2 block?

Teh CL

Reaction score
Here's some pics to add to this thread. J35A8 Top & J32A2 Bottom

J35A8%20head.jpg

J32A2%20Head2.jpg

If your interested I'll have J35A8 RL Heads/IM/Runners available soon.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Look at the bottom middle left hole, they are inversed. :banghead: Both hole arrangements are facing the same direction - to right right. The picture above, they are facing opposite direction, mirroring each other.

Back