JDM H22a Swap Completed

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
Ok I just finished my jdm h22a swap 2weeks ago and now got the car tuned. Im putting down 170whp and 139wtq with I/H/E. I was a bit dissappointed with the numbers but thought it would be a little higher. Would this mean that the engine is not as healthy? Also the only issue i'm having right now is when i have the A/C on and at idle my wideband gauge reads 16 plus but when im cruising it in the mid 13's. I had my tuner adjust it because it would vibrate like crazy but i think its because of the innovative 75a mounts i have. I just wanted to know what should my wideband gauge read at when I have the A/C on at idle? When i was using my stock accord ecu, my A/C wouldn't work but when i got it tuned with the p28 ecu it works fine but with alot of vibrations at idle

chaby_91

Reaction score
Numbers are good. HP and torque are lost between crank and wheels.

Urethane mounts are stiffer and therefore will make the car vibrate. You'll get used to it.

I'm not really engine savvy yet, but why don't you get a h22a ecu?

Last edited:

jdmcg3

Reaction score
^becuase the P28 is the most tune-able ecu out there.

and those numbers do seem a little bit low. from a h22a i would like to see the 185-195hp range.

what kind of headers and exhaust set-up you running?

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
Not sure what brand headers, but have an apexi exhaust and sri. What should the wideband gauge be reading at idle with the A/C on?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Drivetrain loss on average is around 15% from what I've heard. So take that percentage from whatever the H22 is rated at. To me your numbers sound about right.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Drivetrain loss on average is around 15% from what I've heard. So take that percentage from whatever the H22 is rated at. To me your numbers sound about right.

I agree the numbers are not bad at all and are pretty spot on for a stock h22a considering that it's not a fresh motor out of the factory. You have to consider hp loss from normal wear and tear.

akoutmos

Reaction score
Seeing as you are running a programmable ECU, who did the tune? If the tune isn't optimal...you are not gonna utilize the full potential of the motor.

Also you said you used the stock accord ECU.....i would not do that again seeing as that ECU is programmed for the F-series motor you were running. That ECU will be running a more advanced ignition map compared to the H-series tune. The reason for this being that higher compression motors do not need as much ignition advance as lower compression motors (in ECU talk they run more retarded). Running the stock accord ecu could damage your H motor.

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
Ok gotcha, as far as my readings on my wideband what should my numbers be at idle cause right now its a bit high after my tune reading at 15-16's and about the same with my
A/C on. And after my tune, every morning trying to start the car, it would take a good 3 seconds for it to start and after it started, the rpms would jump to 2k rpm and then work its way down, what might be the issue with that? And the f23ecu was modified for me to use only for emissions but been using it for a while till i could get a tune. What exactly would be damaged?

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
could just be motor age/wear, motors generally lose some hp over time. how many miles are on it?

Back