JDM H23A ECU for manual trans. OBD2 emissions test

l1nd3n

Reaction score
So I have read most posts regarding the H23A jdm swap and really have not found a totally legit answer as to what ecu I could use or how to pass an emissions test in a obd2 car. My f23a1 accord. Converting to obd1 is great and all, its what I want to do. Even if I just plug an ecu in for the test I would be happy with that.
Anyone ever run the F23a1 manual ecu with a H23A jdm motor?
Any help or suggestions would really help. I want to buy this motor but also want to pass inspection. I live in Texas. Thanks all.

Michael_accord

Reaction score
Hey bro i live in texas too the keller area. I have an obd1 boosted accord. I cannot pass emissions because its obd1 with a newer car that shouldn't have it. I however pay to pass emission, yes it is possible. As to your question if you are going to convert the engine to obd1 the H23a and you plug back in the f23a1 ecu it won't start because the iacv is different going from obd1-obd2 and if it does start it will act very different. Choking all over the place and just rev high and all sorta garbage. But it is possible to make it work a guy had his for emissions but he had a shop wire his harness differently so he could pass using a stock ecu. But throwing it back in there won't work as simple as you think.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
I wonder what it is they did to wire it up?
The closest thing I have found to getting it to work is using an obd2 H22 ecu. Seems like I remember it still throws misfire codes though...

99accord boi

Reaction score
If u live in california it will never pass emissions test
Or u can get away with it u are just gonna leave the shop with a huge fine and the person who smogged ur car without a liscence but emissions machines plug into ur obd port and verify all the info the machine is reading with the ecu such as engune speed vehicle speed exhaust temp and most importantly the VIN
If the number the tech input on the computer doesnt match what the smog machine reads u will pass but u are showing paperwork for one car and smogging something with a diff vin on the computer

cgfive227

Reaction score
I know this thread is kinda old but dreamaan back in the day used the super rare p13-a12 96 prelude h22 5 speed ecu and it kept him obd2 and able to pass emissions and able to bypass immobilizer considering the fact that this ecu is the only one from factory that didnt have one.....i know this cause ill be bying my H23 vtec this week and i have that super rare ecu : )....it took me about 6 months but i got it!!!......hopefully that helps you out

Back