Junk Yard Engine or Japenese used market?

jreniak

Reaction score
Hi,

My Accord just blew a cylinder. It is 4 cyl. 2000 Accord with 225,000 miles. I am looking to install a new engine. One of the guys I work with recommended JDM Engine. (Japanese Domestic Market)

Any recommendation: JDM versus Junk Yard?

Anyone knows how to determine real engine mileage from a junk yard? I was told that they can tell you anything and there is no way to verify.

Any other thought or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

jreniak

Reaction score
Junk yards do not keep record where (or what car) the engine comes from. If you have a car, then you can do it. Usually the engine is on the shelf and the rest of the car is loooooong gone. Now you are stuck and have to take there word for it.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
junk yard engines are cheaper of course but if they don't work your going to end up paying twice the cost in labor...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ Not if you do the swap yourself like some people haha.

Also, Chito is right - Car Fax is the only way to verify the truth. I would get a carfax for ANY engine or car I am looking at buying. I've gone to a junk yard before and written down VIN's then gone and looked them up on Car Fax. It's what you also need to do. NEVER trust a salvage yard, no matter how legit they look. Always do your own verification.

twofast4u

Reaction score
I would much rather get a japanese engine since there so cheap, i got mine for 450 delivered to my house. you just need to use your old exhaust/intake manifolds and PS pump. Mines been good for the past 20 000km no more burning oil!

elcatrachito14

Reaction score
I would much rather get a japanese engine since there so cheap, i got mine for 450 delivered to my house. you just need to use your old exhaust/intake manifolds and PS pump. Mines been good for the past 20 000km no more burning oil!

That sounds good!!

jdmcg3

Reaction score

where did you find this deal?

another good way to check to see how many miles and if its in good condition is to take off the valve cover and look inside there. if its nice a golden colored chances are it was keep in good condition and has decent miles on it. if its a black and doo-doo brown.. then it was not taken care of and serviced often.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
^ Not if you do the swap yourself like some people haha.

true but most ppl aren't mechanically inclined enough to DIY

oh and best of all, it came from an auto jdm car so it wasn't beaten on :p

just because it was auto doesn't mean it wasn't beaten on. for all you know they didn't service the engine regularly and such. i see plenty of people who beat on their autotragics lol.

Back