Just bought an 00 Accord.. Need help.

jwong512

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Well, people say that you can always get aftermarket headers and catback exhaust but honestly, I don't think you would notice much HP gain even if you got those. They're so minimal that you won't notice it while your driving. If you really want gains, your best bet is to get a turbocharger on your car and those aren't cheap. Since you just got your car and it has pretty high mileage on it, I would highly recommend checking the transmission fluid and see if it's dirty. Usually if it's clean it should be red and if it's dirty, it'll be any other color. The transmissions on our 6th Generation Accords are weak and are known to fail. Also, when you do a transmission service on it, don't ever do a flush. It will kill your transmission. Always do a drain and fill.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
welcome

bring car to me in north chicago with money and i make your car fast, kay?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
that sounds kinda fishy.. where in the north exactly and how much will you charge and what mods do you plan on doing?

lol, tht was more of me joking with you than being serious. but i am a very good mechanic if you need some help with stuff, ask around.....i am that damn good

im at the naval base in N chi

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I have the same exact model accord. Does you automatic transmission slip at all. Mine was a piece of junk and than I found a recall on them. You might be able to still cash in on that recall. But, As said, a 5spd swap would be the ticket. I'm happy I did. Some minor gains can be brough by doing a bunch of small stuff.
After I got my intake, head, exhaust, new irdium spark plugs, new spark plug cables, and had it tuned, I gained about 21hp! No joke. Also, change the oil, get the injectors cleaned, and get all your fluids flushed and replaced. It really is just a good thing to do to your new baby.

BigAnt

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I have the same exact model accord. Does you automatic transmission slip at all. Mine was a piece of junk and than I found a recall on them. You might be able to still cash in on that recall. But, As said, a 5spd swap would be the ticket. I'm happy I did. Some minor gains can be brough by doing a bunch of small stuff.
After I got my intake, head, exhaust, new irdium spark plugs, new spark plug cables, and had it tuned, I gained about 21hp! No joke. Also, change the oil, get the injectors cleaned, and get all your fluids flushed and replaced. It really is just a good thing to do to your new baby.

how long did it take you do to a 5spd swap and a estimate for cost because i'm really thinking about it?

Reaction score
Well, you are looking at a pretty good amount of cash if you want something nice. There is a lot of parts that need to be taken out and switched around to make the manual be seemless. I ended up pulling out the as much of the transmission I could do myself and having it towed to a mechanic friend of mine. We took a stock accord tranny for the swap. So, I wasn't really upgrading, just switching.
I wouldn't try to do it yourself unless you have a shop and another car you can use so that you can still get to work.
I spent a total of $3,200. Most was labor, some was parts.
The tranny was $1200 because I got from a totalled car.
I actually sold the AT parts to the shop to help pay for the swap.
I also did a couple upgrades a few months later. Get to a honda shop or find a tuner garage that might do it for you. You can save on labor by doing certain stuff yourself. I did not get a warranty on parts or labor. This might be the case if you do some of it yourself and depending on the tranny u get. Sorry this post was so long.

Back