Knocking coming from engine bay

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
I just started noticing a knocking noise coming from my engine bay. It does not happen at idle, and it isnt consistent. It happens when I'm on the throttle, but I have to be moving. My first thought is a tranny mount. Just wondering if anyone else has experianced anything similar? The car has a 2.3 with a 5 speed.

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
I am not quite sure, Im going on a drive in about 10 minutes so I will reply back then. It does seem to happen at a faster rate the faster I'm going

Slowfinger

Reaction score
Check to see at what RPMs it does it at, then try to do with your hand on the throttle by the intake while in neutral. You might have what I have. Can you describe in detail the sound, or better yet take a vid of it?

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
The knock doesnt occur unless im moving and in gear. It usually happens as im coming on or getting off the throttle

Slowfinger

Reaction score
Is it a higher sounding knocking like the ticking of the valves, or a lower end knocking sound? I wonder if it's bottom end, but hopefully it's just an engine mount. If it's a tinny rattle, then its the heat shield for the catalytic converter. If you can go under the car and inspect the motor mounts. Is the car back east, if so, check the sub frame for rust/rot. Does the knocking go with the speed of the engine?

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
Its not a ticking valve or anything like, its like a solid thud. It tends to only be one or two thuds either right when i get on or off the throttle. I'd go out and make a video but I live in Maine and we are getting dumped on with bad weather. Im going to take a closer look at the mounts this weekend if the weather gets better, I'll post a video if I cant figure it out

Slowfinger

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I may be getting the early signs of rod knock, sure sounds like that, only when hot though, really sucks though, engine looks like new and it only has 120,000kms! As for the solid thud noise you are hearing, if it is some what random, and does not oscillate (like sounding engine related), you probably just have a loose engine mount. Those things go all the time, they're not that well designed. Get a buddy to at least try to rock the engine a bit and see if you can notice quite the slack/movement in the mounts in relation to the engine. If it was like a solid deep knocking thud sound, then most likely it is one of the main bearings. Yeah, I bet it is a mount! Cheers!

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
Thats sucks, but yeah as soon as this snow stops im going to take a look at the mounts. Goodluck with your rod knock

Back