Knocking noise

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Ive been at this noise for the whole day and its getting VERY bad now. It only happens when I'm either cruising or not on the gas. While braking or accelerating it disappears. For the life of me i can't figure it out. it gets very violent on the highway and now it does it between shifts.

excuse the poopy driving, i was holding the camera with one hand and driving with the other.

this is the video

the first thing i thought was axles. but i checked them both this morning. they both seem fine.

Last edited:

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I would check the bushings around your control arm, tie rod

I bet its your wheel bearings. Check them. check your wheel movement. They can be "tight" feeling and still be bad".

And I hate to tell ya but I don't know how you "checked" your axle etc but someone you wouldn't be able to tell because they will be solid feeling and feel great until you remove it and then inspect the movements.

Good luck.

Oh. Make sure your lug nuts are fully tightened.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Ive been at this noise for the whole day and its getting VERY bad now. It only happens when I'm either cruising or not on the gas. While braking or accelerating it disappears. For the life of me i can't figure it out. it gets very violent on the highway and now it does it between shifts.

excuse the poopy driving, i was holding the camera with one hand and driving with the other.

this is the video

the first thing i thought was axles. but i checked them both this morning. they both seem fine.

Start with easy things and move on to the hard ones.

Jack up the front of the vehicle and check each side for bad tie rods/or upper/lower ball joints. You can do so by grabbing the wheel at 9/3 and 6/12 and pushing and pulling on it. If you have access to a hoist you can check the lower ball joints with a prybar much better/easier. Check the bushings for the upper control arm and look for tears.

Verify that your damper nuts in your shock towers are actually tight in place to the right torque.

Check the bushing for the damper fork for excessive wear. Also check the bushing for the lower control arm.

Check the swaybar endlinks by grabbing them and pushing and pulling on them from the side.

Drive the car on ramps with the wheels straight so the tires/suspension is loaded. Get under and check the swaybar bushings for looseness by grabbing the bar close to and attempting to move it up/down or side to side.

Grab each axle and check for in/out play and up/down play.

Jack up the rear of the car and inspect the bushings for all control arms and the ball joint for the upper arm.

Once again check the sway bar endlinks and bushings.

Check all wheel bearings all around. With the car in neutral they should feel like spinning in honey. Not too loose and not too tight.

Check all shocks for possible leaks. You can also do the bounce test with the car in the ground. To make sure you don't add dings to the body pop the hood and push on the frame bar in front of the radiator for the front...and pop the trunk and push on the trunk frame for the rear.

Lastly check your exhaust hangers and make sure the exhaust isn't hitting on something while the car is driving.

Last edited:
Back