KYB Excel-G Rear Strut - no room for bump stop plate?

simplicity

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just replaced the rear struts today and realized that the KYB rear struts came with a bump stop and dust cover - I had ordered OEM bump stop for the rear and dust cover already but can't seem to fit the OEM bump stop over the shaft as it seems to have a nut that holds the KYB bump stop. So I ended up using the KYB bump stops with the OEM dust cover and reused everything else except the bump stop plate (i left it out) - I was not able to use it since the KYB bump stop is flat....whereas the OEM has an indentation for the bump stop plate to go in so that it is flat as well. If I try to use the bump stop plate there isn't enough thread left on the shaft for the locking nut to screw on top. I know a few folks here use KYB as OE replacements and curious what others have done.

Link shows the "nut" looking thing in the middle of the shaft that the KYB bump stop sits flush with...however the OEM bump stop will not slide over it.

341271.jpg

This shows the KYB bump stop. The bump stop plate would typically go between the bump stop and the dust cover.
KYB-341258.jpg

Last edited:

619rcr

Reaction score
What is your question? I have always used KYB GR2s/EXcel G's as replacements. I have dones struts on 2 6th gen accords, and 1 7th gen. 4 total replacement sets. From what I have seen before, The struts ship with a new washer and a top nut. Sit the washer on top of the perch(what u refer to as the nut looking thing). It should sit flat side up. Then, put the bump stop over that, just like the 2nd picture above. Slip the dust cover over all of that. Then install your spring and strut mount, install the new nut on top.

If you are having trouble installing the top nut, use some spring compressors and compress your spring. The bump stop should fit, its just foam rubber.

Last edited:

simplicity

Reaction score
Thanks for your response

The rear struts came with the bump stop dust cover and a top nut. The bump stop is already on the strut. I had wanted to use an oem bump stop which is twice the length of the one from KGB for the rear. I had tried using the bump stop plate (washer) without the spring to see if I could clear the space for the top nut but couldn't so I don't think having the spring in there will make it better. The OEM bump stop plate (washer) does not sit flush with the KYB bump stop and would add to the thickness of all the components.

Question:

1. Did you reuse the OEM bump stop or use the KYB supplied one?
2. If you used the KYB supplied bump stop, were you able to reuse the OEM bump stop plate?

Last edited:

619rcr

Reaction score
Thanks for your response

The rear struts came with the bump stop dust cover and a top nut. The bump stop is already on the strut. I had wanted to use an oem bump stop which is twice the length of the one from KGB for the rear. I had tried using the bump stop plate (washer) without the spring to see if I could clear the space for the top nut but couldn't so I don't think having the spring in there will make it better. The OEM bump stop plate (washer) does not sit flush with the KYB bump stop and would add to the thickness of all the components.

Question:

1. Did you reuse the OEM bump stop or use the KYB supplied one?
2. If you used the KYB supplied bump stop, were you able to reuse the OEM bump stop plate?

I reused the OEM bump stop. It really doesn't even need to be in there. It's job is to support the vehicle if you completely compress the spring, basically keep u from hitting metal to metal. I have always been told when using lowering springs, cut the bump stop in half, which would probably explain why the kyb one is half the size. But on occasions, I have found the OEM bump stop is destroyed from age by the time the struts get replaced; so I didn't even use one.

To solve your problem. I suggest, use the OEM bump stop. Slide it on the bare strut before anything else, so that the top of the bump stop is flush with the perch for the washer. It will go on, just use some muscles. Put the washer on top, bevel side down. Put the dust cover over it. Then spring and strut mount and nut.

Last edited:

simplicity

Reaction score
Having the bump stop is critical to prevent the struts from being damaged when you bottom out over potholes, I would not recommend installing the struts without them.

I used the KYB provided bump stops and used the OEM dust cover. Did not reuse the bump stop plate. Drove around no noise so I'm guessing it's alright. I have another 6ga with KYB GR-2s installed by a shop..I might open that up and see how they did it...my guess is they probably didn't reuse the bump stop plate either.

Back