LCA ball joint replacement...

changaroo

Reaction score
Heyyoh

I need to do my LCA ball joints soon. My car clicks like a time bomb lol.

I bought two ball joints already, and from what I can see... I need to pull the whole front brake / caliper in order to get to the lower control arm to press the ball joint out? Is this right?

Is there a tool I can rent to press the new ones back in? I know I can rent a ball joint press to remove, but I'm not sure if there is a tool out there to press them back in.

Thanks

SeanXtec

Reaction score
A ball joint press is used to get the old one out as well as put the new one in. Essentially a massive C-clamp. You will also need rent a ball joint separator kit(looks like a couple of tuning forks). Finally, you will need a fairly heavy hammer.

Take the axle nut and brake caliper off, separate the ball joint, and swing the hub out.
DO NOT pull the axle with the hub, if you pull the axle out too far you WILL be buying a new one. I learned this one the hard way.

You will then be able to use your ball joint press to replace the ball joint. Be prepared to get a bit...creative...with the the press. The kit I rented from advance auto didn't have the right size fittings for the accord...not fun.

finch13

Reaction score
^ +1....

Usually when you rent the press you have to rent the Honda or Import adapter as well.

I put a ball joint in with a socket and extremely large vise, still broke the vise handle.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
A ball joint press is used to get the old one out as well as put the new one in. Essentially a massive C-clamp. You will also need rent a ball joint separator kit(looks like a couple of tuning forks). Finally, you will need a fairly heavy hammer.

Take the axle nut and brake caliper off, separate the ball joint, and swing the hub out.
DO NOT pull the axle with the hub, if you pull the axle out too far you WILL be buying a new one. I learned this one the hard way.

You will then be able to use your ball joint press to replace the ball joint. Be prepared to get a bit...creative...with the the press. The kit I rented from advance auto didn't have the right size fittings for the accord...not fun.
yeah...not fun indeed. the ball joint sits a place where (for whatever reason) honda decided to not machine the area around it flat :squintrun: i think i ended up using 1 cup to start, and pressing it all the way down with 2.

if youre doing it buy yourself borrow a popper from autozone. you can get by without it if a buddy's helping...

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score

this instruction plus a whole lot of cussing

Dark_Templar!

Reaction score
Ball Joints are a B!tch.
Im reap lacing both of my lower ones an upper control arm and a sway bar end link =[
not fun.
Had to cut the stud off one ball joint and pounded it out with a giant a$$ hammer...
As for the bleeding, i have no clue how you manage to do it... i mean ive only cut myself on machined edges and thats about it so far... and when a flathead slipped and cut my finger... :eusa_doh:

finch13

Reaction score
^ I've been known to cut my hands on everything. I've cut my hand replacing the air filter before. :(

I have 3 cuts on my hands right now.... haven't worked on the car in a looong time.

Back