Leak in front of vehicle

mortzzen

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2000 accord ex coupe from it's original owner. I took it out for a test drive and parked it in my garage overnight. When I took it out the next morning there was a dark brownish liquid on the floor spilled. It was located in the front of the vehicle it wasn't much but it did create a small puddle. Also when I first drove the vehicle,upon getting out I did smell somewhat of a burning tire smell coming from the front of the engine. Maybe the oil that was dripping is itself burning?? Where should I go from here,thanks!

Brad2274

Reaction score
putting UV dye in the engine and running it for a few miles then checking engine bay at night with a UV light usually works pretty well for finding leaks

mortzzen

Reaction score
When I turned on the car today I saw the check engine light on. I took the car for an oil change and tire rotation and took it by a local mechanic. He charged me 64$ to check the code electronically ((Engine Coolant Temperature -Circuit High)). He said if it switched on again I would have to change the sensor,he showed me exactly where it is.
While I was there I decided to ask him about a leak I noticed recently in my driveway,he lifted the vehicle and showed me it was leaking from 2 of the O-rings right under the engine case. (I ordered them already) I'll have those replaced first. Then he proceeded to show me there was another leak and he pointed out it could be the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal.
My question is,should I replace the oil pan gasket and see if that solves the problem first?
The car has 92k miles is it common for this to happen?
I'm really hoping it's not the rear main seal as it's costly to fix over $500 for sure.
Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
When I turned on the car today I saw the check engine light on. I took the car for an oil change and tire rotation and took it by a local mechanic. He charged me 64$ to check the code electronically ((Engine Coolant Temperature -Circuit High)). He said if it switched on again I would have to change the sensor,he showed me exactly where it is.
While I was there I decided to ask him about a leak I noticed recently in my driveway,he lifted the vehicle and showed me it was leaking from 2 of the O-rings right under the engine case. (I ordered them already) I'll have those replaced first. Then he proceeded to show me there was another leak and he pointed out it could be the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal.
My question is,should I replace the oil pan gasket and see if that solves the problem first?
The car has 92k miles is it common for this to happen?
I'm really hoping it's not the rear main seal as it's costly to fix over $500 for sure.
Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Besides low mileage u need to remember our cars already got some years on them, so it depends how it was stored, what state (weather conditions) garage kept but it is natural for rubber seals to go over time. Replace whatever seals u think are bad yourself, that will save u money, and go from smaller to bigger problems. Oil pan gasket is part of schedule maintenance...good luck

Back