Leak...Need Advice

handmedown

Reaction score
Linking pics of your email doesn't work. Upload them to a site such as imageshack or photobucket and then re-link them again on here. And a view from directly under the back of the engine might be better

^+1. The splashguard in the forefront of the photo is really blocking us from seeing anything. ;)

Pictures fixed. Sorry about that.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Damn...that is a good sized leak. And yeah, looks to be coming from the tranny, not engine.

handmedown

Reaction score
Damn...that is a good sized leak. And yeah, looks to be coming from the tranny, not engine.

Yeah :/ I also just confirmed through the UV dye and low transmission fluid level. Any idea the repair cost? Or was Mr. Chazen from Honda right about the $1100 estimate?

Thanks again for the input.

jwong512

Reaction score
Dam, looks like your transmission is leaking pretty bad. I'm surprised your gears aren't slipping considering that you have such a big leak your transmission is still functioning properly. Looks like the fluid hasn't been changed and the car hasn't been well taken care of which is what caused the leak. Search around and see if you can find an honest mechanic to fix your transmission for you. While your at it, you might as well see if you can get some of the transmission rebuilt since labor for taking it apart is gonna cost a lot so you might as well do everything at once.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
If it is indeed your transmission, that sucks man. Just a few other options from that side of the engine and personal experience - if it's not the tranny, it could be the distributor seal and oil leaking down, or the oil pan itself - from the side of the engine stiffener. Both are relatively easy fixes, compared to transmission issues.

handmedown

Reaction score
Dam, looks like your transmission is leaking pretty bad. I'm surprised your gears aren't slipping considering that you have such a big leak your transmission is still functioning properly. Looks like the fluid hasn't been changed and the car hasn't been well taken care of which is what caused the leak. Search around and see if you can find an honest mechanic to fix your transmission for you. While your at it, you might as well see if you can get some of the transmission rebuilt since labor for taking it apart is gonna cost a lot so you might as well do everything at once.

If it is indeed your transmission, that sucks man. Just a few other options from that side of the engine and personal experience - if it's not the tranny, it could be the distributor seal and oil leaking down, or the oil pan itself - from the side of the engine stiffener. Both are relatively easy fixes, compared to transmission issues.

Damn, if you guys are saying its pretty bad, I'm surprised I haven't noticed any major slipping or anything.

@Russianred, Yea, I'll look into it and be sure about that.

Thanks again for all the replies! So helpful.

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, check your tranny fluid. Is it low?
Clean the area up using brake cleaner and a rag and see where it starts leaking from again.
If you were really leaking that much tranny fluid youd've noticed something i think so maybe its engine oil.

NGP_UA5

Reaction score
I got a leak like that too, but its engine oil. I'm guessing its the rear main seal or oil pan, started when I accidentally put too much oil in. Drained it out, leak is much slower almost stopped.

But you are sure its transmission fluid? ouch :hide:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah :/ I also just confirmed through the UV dye and low transmission fluid level. Any idea the repair cost? Or was Mr. Chazen from Honda right about the $1100 estimate?

Thanks again for the input.

How is your motor oil level? If it's normal and your tranny fluid level is low, this could be a tranny fluid leak. Are the droplets on the ground more of a dark brown/black? Or more of dark brown/red?

As for cost...not sure.

Last edited:

handmedown

Reaction score
OP, check your tranny fluid. Is it low?
Clean the area up using brake cleaner and a rag and see where it starts leaking from again.
If you were really leaking that much tranny fluid youd've noticed something i think so maybe its engine oil.

How is your motor oil level? If it's normal and your tranny fluid level is low, this could be a tranny fluid leak. Are the droplets on the ground more of a dark brown/black? Or more of dark brown/red?

As for cost...not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when checking the transmission fluid level, it does matter if the car is parked on a flat, even surface area right? I read this in the manual. Following this, I parked the car like 3/4 in the garage, having the rear wheels towards the edge of the driveway. Since its dropped more in the front to avoid that boat look, I tried imitating the stock flat/surface stance. And from doing that, I get a low transmission fluid level. Please let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

The fluid that is dripping is more brownish that black.

I'll keep you guys posted on the oil levels, and will try out that break cleaner.

Thanks again guys.

Back