Lol, what the hell is this part?!

Bombda

Reaction score
Hey y'all, just replaced my valve cover gasket, plugs wires, and cap on my f23a1. I forgot to wipe some things down like I should have (my own fault), but I appear to have a leak coming from this unidentifiable (to me) piece. The leak appears to be pushing up from the seal in between this piece and the block. (Aaand for whatever reason my phone isn't allowing me to upload pictures, so I'll be as descriptive as I can, please bear with me).
Off the top left corner of the valve cover is a small metal 'tube' underneath the ribbed tube attaching to the fuel rail, off the back right of where the distributor plugs into the harness. It's about 1" wide and maybe 2" tall? What is this piece and what is involved in fixing the leak?

Help!! Thanks guys!!

Moderators this is urgent because I am trying desperately to pass colorado emissions and I'm on a bit of a tight clock. If this does not warrant urgent, please let me know and I will copy it to another thread. Thank you!!

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
So, in that location, there is the temp sensor right off of the upper radiator hose. There is the EGR valve mounted to the intake manifold right where the manifold attaches to the head, and then right above that, two wires go to the VTEC solenoid. One is for oil pressure and one is to trigger VTAKKKKK!!!!

Why won't you pass emissions?

What fluid is it leaking?

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
Sounds like the VTEC solenoid.

Upload image here: postimage.org

Copy direct link into message here.

Last edited:

Bombda

Reaction score
So, in that location, there is the temp sensor right off of the upper radiator hose. There is the EGR valve mounted to the intake manifold right where the manifold attaches to the head, and then right above that, two wires go to the VTEC solenoid. One is for oil pressure and one is to trigger VTAKKKKK!!!!

Why won't you pass emissions?

What fluid is it leaking?

Oil is leaking it's less than two inches from that back left corner of the engine, from what I can tell there's two bolts vertical, and one bolt horizontal attaching it to the block (that the valve cover is attached directly to. Would this be the 'head'?). The oil appears to be leaking from that horizontal bolt running back to front (I can only see the 'bottom tip' facing the front of the engine).

Have to re-register the car in Colorado. (Speaking of which if anyone is from Co, definitely hit me up. Lol)
As for the emissions, previously there were misfires and a bad 02 sensor, already failed the first test, so I replaced everything previously listed, afterwards I spotted some fresh oil running.

The check engine light actually went off after I replaced everything for the first few start ups. Saw the fresh oil, and wiped what I could off. I Let it sit for a few hours went back out to try and track down the oil because it was bothering me and the check engine light came back on, so after this its back to codes.

So based on your response I'd lean towards the EGR?

Thanks again.

Bombda

Reaction score
Lol, ok. So looking up the part, it's not the EGR VALVE. It's the piece right in between the EGR valve and the valve cover. Lol. Literally if you made a triangle of the EGR Valve, distributor and valve cover (corner) it would be smack in the middle of the three of them.

Bombda

Reaction score
image.jpg

This is the best I can do for a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bombda

Reaction score
Bingo. Thanks y'all. How complicated is this to fix? Can I do it myself or do I need to seek professional help?

james'99

Reaction score
You can fix it yourself. 3 bolts mounting it to the head. One gasket. Leave the three top bolts alone. The ones that are parallel to the valve cover. No need to touch those. Clean it on up with brake cleaner when you have it out. One of the bolts may be only accessible if you remove the EGR valve so see if you can get that one out first before you get yourself into the job completely.

Back