Looking at a 98 V6 coupe with issues

JJR512

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new member here, just joined up. I'm looking at buying my ex-wife's 1998 Accord V6 Coupe. Not sure if it's LX or EX, doesn't say either on the back. It does not have leather. It has almost 240k miles.

I've been to the Kelley Blue Book website and tried to describe its condition as accurately as possible with the options the website allowed me. It suggested that the private-party sale price should be a little under $1400. I'm giving her $1500 for it. She's my ex, but we're still friends.

It has a number of issues. However, my feeling is that I'd rather buy a car whose issues I know about, rather than some random used car I know nothing about.

I'd like to now list the issues, and what I'm looking for is a general idea of what I should get fixed right away, what can wait for a few weeks, what can wait for a couple months. And an idea of what these things are going to cost to get fixed. For most issues I'm probably going to need to take it to a repair shop, and I'd prefer to take it to a reputable shop with Honda experience. I'm not looking for shade-tree repairs here. I'm looking for OEM parts or equally-good (or better) aftermarket parts, no eBay junk.

So here's the list, and I look forward to your comments and help... And don't be afraid to shout "run away" if you really think it's that bad! But I am aware that these repairs are going to cost more than I'm paying for the car up front.

- Temp gauge goes to red
o Fans will come on (not sure if one or both)
o Will stay at red for a few minutes, then rapidly drop to middle area
o Often drops after accelerating from a stop
o Usually won’t go to red if moving at steady high speed
o More common to go to red in city or suburban traffic
o Slight odor of coolant when overheating
o Fans keep running if engine shut off while overheated

- Heater not working properly
o Heater problems precede overheating issues and may or may not be related, and may or may not be a good source of clues for the overheating issue
o Prior to the overheating issue starting, the heater would usually blow cool air, occasionally lukewarm
o After overheating issue started, heater would usually blow cool air, sometimes lukewarm, unless temp gauge was at red then it might blow warm air

- Occasional rough idle after starting
o Does not happen with cold starts
o May only happen with starting a few minutes after shutoff while overheated
o Seems to accelerate fine

- Normally runs fine
o Accelerates very well
o Usually idles fairly smooth
o Unknown gas mileage

- Almost 240k miles

- Scheduled maintenance
o Occasional oil changes
o Brake work when needed
o To my knowledge, no other scheduled maintenance has been done

- Body
o Some rusting on front edge of right rear wheel well
o Has been low-speed rear-ended, no known structural damage, rear bumper cap now misaligned

- Other
o As far as I know, all other systems work fine

I feel I should get the overheating issue taken care of first, and I'm game to just replace everything (radiator, cap, hoses, thermostat, coolant, water pump). I doubt it's been filled with the Honda-approved coolant. At the same time I should probably get the timing belt replaced, which I don't know if it was ever done the first time it should've been, and I know it hasn't been replaced since my ex has had it. (She got the car at around 140k miles.)

So...once again, thanks in advance!

GERM

Reaction score
you are going to spend another $1500 just fixing all those things. with $3k i would rather just get another accord with less issues and definitely less miles.

JJR512

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that I need a car NOW, $1500 is what I have now, and this car is available now. The car also runs, so it can wait a couple weeks until I have another $1500 for the first round of repairs. And then it can wait another few weeks until I have another $1500 for another round of repairs. Yeah, a $3000 car, or a $4500 car would be nice. I just can't wait that long. That being said, I'd rather buy THIS $1500 car with problems I know about, rather than buy a random unknown $1500 car which could very well be in better condition, but could also end up being much worse.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that I need a car NOW, $1500 is what I have now, and this car is available now. The car also runs, so it can wait a couple weeks until I have another $1500 for the first round of repairs. And then it can wait another few weeks until I have another $1500 for another round of repairs. Yeah, a $3000 car, or a $4500 car would be nice. I just can't wait that long. That being said, I'd rather buy THIS $1500 car with problems I know about, rather than buy a random unknown $1500 car which could very well be in better condition, but could also end up being much worse.

For how long is the question? Just because you can buy a car now, doesn't mean you should. Trust me, she's an ex for a reason, and this is just bad juju trying to play in affect. I'm going to say this: RUN AWAY!!! Unless you are ready to go ahead and drop a new engine in this to be sure it stays running and to know the actual condition, I'd avoid this like the plague. IMO

JJR512

Reaction score
It's been running just fine like this for awhile. I know sooner or later it's going to fail, but there's no indication that it's going to be in the next couple weeks. If anything, me buying it is going to make it last longer, because I'll drive it a lot less than she will (I live closer to where I work than she does). She is my ex, but not my enemy. Our kids live with her more of the time. If it's going to fail, I'd rather it be with me, as I can afford the repairs much more than she can. If it fails with her, then her and my kids have no car, and no hope. If it fails with me before I can get it fixed, then I'm out the money but my kids aren't relying on me to have a car and I can keep getting to work without a car, like I'm doing right now.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
It's been running just fine like this for awhile. I know sooner or later it's going to fail, but there's no indication that it's going to be in the next couple weeks. If anything, me buying it is going to make it last longer, because I'll drive it a lot less than she will (I live closer to where I work than she does). She is my ex, but not my enemy. Our kids live with her more of the time. If it's going to fail, I'd rather it be with me, as I can afford the repairs much more than she can. If it fails with her, then her and my kids have no car, and no hope. If it fails with me before I can get it fixed, then I'm out the money but my kids aren't relying on me to have a car and I can keep getting to work without a car, like I'm doing right now.

Sounds like your mind is made up then. Follow your gut, use your car experience, and any issues regardless of your decision, we will be here to give you our advice, input, and help. :cheers: And if you do purchase it, welcome to the family!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i'd avoid tht car if I were u... 240k miles on a motor tht has overheats and a weak tranny that could go bad anyday... for $1500, u could get an older corolla...those cars are like tanks

GERM

Reaction score
you shouldn't feel obligated to buy her car. i know there is sometimes personal things, and i figure you kind of secretly want to help her out by buying the vehicle. HINT: you are willing to pay more than KBB value, honestly do what's best for you. i suggest a 90 to 93 accord they are in your price range and are great cars. i suggest you help her sell it instead.

Back