Loose Power Steering Belt...

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
Is there a way to tighten my power steering belt? Every time I turn my car on the belt is always squeaking and a bit lose.

Is there also any lubricant I could use to help it too???

hotaccord243

Reaction score
There is an adjusting nut behind the power steering pump almost below it is more accurate.
- Loosen it up and the bolt holding the power steering pump on the block.
- The power steering pump should be able to move at a particular angle.
- Use a pry bar to pry it so the belt is tight, (but not excessively tight)
- At the same time you are putting pressure on the pump, re-tighten the adjusting nut.
-Tight the bolt attaching it to the block and your done.

Make sure there are no knicks, chunks, cracks on the belt. If there are, replace it.

Also that squeak is probably the pump and not the belt, btw.

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
There is an adjusting nut behind the power steering pump almost below it is more accurate.
- Loosen it up and the bolt holding the power steering pump on the block.
- The power steering pump should be able to move at a particular angle.
- Use a pry bar to pry it so the belt is tight, (but not excessively tight)
- At the same time you are putting pressure on the pump, re-tighten the adjusting nut.
-Tight the bolt attaching it to the block and your done.

Make sure there are no knicks, chunks, cracks on the belt. If there are, replace it.

Also that squeak is probably the pump and not the belt, btw.

If it is the pump then would it be a good ideal to replace the whole pump?

hotaccord243

Reaction score
It could be air in the system, or low fluid maybe.

I would try tightening it up first. Have you been low on fluid lately or leaking any anytime lately?

Also is it squeaky when turning the wheel, or just when the car is running?

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
It could be air in the system, or low fluid maybe.

I would try tightening it up first. Have you been low on fluid lately or leaking any anytime lately?

Also is it squeaky when turning the wheel, or just when the car is running?

Fluid seems to be right at the correct level. I don't think I have any leaks anywhere because I have had the car for a while and the fluid is still at the same level.

It usually squeaks when I turn the steering wheel, but after the car warms up or has been on for a bit it goes away. I know it's the power steering belt for sure since I've seen the belt slip while having the hood open so I can see it.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Fluid seems to be right at the correct level. I don't think I have any leaks anywhere because I have had the car for a while and the fluid is still at the same level.

It usually squeaks when I turn the steering wheel, but after the car warms up or has been on for a bit it goes away. I know it's the power steering belt for sure since I've seen the belt slip while having the hood open so I can see it.

If it squeaks only If you turn the wheel , that would be the pump though.
If it squeaks while you are either going straight or idling that would be the belt and sometimes the pump too.
Slip... you mean from side to side (horizontally)?, I just don't see a way that you can actually see the belt slip on the pulley unless it is that loose.

Check the belt on the grooves on the underside, how do they look? If it's missing, frayed, chunks missing, maybe that's why you are slipping and need a new belt.
If not tighten it up. If that still doesn't fix it, its the pump. It means it is slowly going out. It will eventually need to be replaced (if you still want power steering lol).

Back