loud knocking noise comeing from my car

datFo_OLkizzle

Reaction score
so i drove over a speed bump and it really hammered my car... this was about three days ago. (i wasnt going fast or anything) n since then a was getting i little knocking noise.. sounded like it was some plastic hitting my wheel or something... no problem so on my way home today it became this LOUD noise n it kept jerking my steering wheel to the right.. and btw the noise was coming from my drivers side and i could feel it underneath my floorboard... does anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
so i drove over a speed bump and it really hammered my car... this was about three days ago. (i wasnt going fast or anything) n since then a was getting i little knocking noise.. sounded like it was some plastic hitting my wheel or something... no problem so on my way home today it became this LOUD noise n it kept jerking my steering wheel to the right.. and btw the noise was coming from my drivers side and i could feel it underneath my floorboard... does anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it

Well did you maybe jack your car up and try and move your wheel up-down and side-to-side? If you have play up-down then chances are its your ball joint(could be upper or lower), if theres play side to side then chances its either your inner or outer toe arm.

Did you take your driver side wheel off and take a look? From what you're describing you bent or possibly broke up a steering/suspension component (ie. balljoint, inner/outer toe arm, control arm, etc)

For it to make your steering go right though...you'd have to hit that speed bump pretty damn hard not "not fast or anything"

PS> why is this under DIY subforum??

Last edited:

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
mine did the same thing, it was the lower balljoint and had to replace the whole control arm. i thought for sure it was coming from the drivers side, but it turned out to be the passenger

datFo_OLkizzle

Reaction score
thanks.. im really scared to drive it because i dont want it to break down... you think i can make it about a mile down the road to a small shop?

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
you should be fine, but it all depends on what it is. mine was making the noise for a month about, then when i pulled out of my bank it just dropped and was being ground into my rim, and it smelled and was louder than my music and i couldnt drive the car anymore.
it started out with just making noise when i turned left, then left and right, then constant no matter what direction. just be careful

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
datFo_OLkizzle said:
thanks.. im really scared to drive it because i dont want it to break down... you think i can make it about a mile down the road to a small shop?
Break down? Ur gonna crash the car if ur lower ball joint is coming out. Ur wheel will jam sideways into the wheel well and cause u to loose control. I would worry about it and find out what the issue is asap.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
Break down? Ur gonna crash the car if ur lower ball joint is coming out. Ur wheel will jam sideways into the wheel well and cause u to loose control. I would worry about it and find out what the issue is asap.

this happened to my friend, lower ball joint, cv joint, wheel pretty much fell off.

OP, if you dont think your car will make it, get it towed. itll cost a few bucks but its only a mile, but id wait till the week because weekend rates are horrible. check around with friends and see if they have a tow dolley or trailer, thats what i ddi the second time i had to tow my car from my house to the shop

Back