Loud Knocking noise turning right

Drew707

Reaction score
Hey guys well when im making a right turn going 5-10mph i hear a really Loud Knocking noise. sounds like a hammer hitting metal or something. really loud though. like Knock, Knock, knock, knock during the duration of the turn. thinking maybe my axle?

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
I replaced an axle on a different car (plymouth) and it wasn't so bad. Axles thru Rockauto can cost as little as $40, so if you can do the labor...

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hey guys well when im making a right turn going 5-10mph i hear a really Loud Knocking noise. sounds like a hammer hitting metal or something. really loud though. like Knock, Knock, knock, knock during the duration of the turn. thinking maybe my axle?

Its probably your left axle. Usually the motto is ...
turn right and hear noise...its your left axle
turn left and hear noise...its your right axle.

If you get under and check its boot you might see the boot torn and spitting grease.

That being said, you can possibly still drive on it for longer if something more urgent needs to be done on the car at the moment.

Whenever changing your passenger axle, drain your tranny fluid as it'll leak out when you pull the axle.

If you change the axle i'd consider the idea of spend an extra 10$ at honda and the the axle seal and change it as well. Remove the old seal very carefully so you dont scratch the casing. Tap the new seal in evenly until its body is flush with the casing. (that is the body, not the outer protruding lip). Use a socket or a PVC pipe the size of the seal to tap it in the place.

Drew707

Reaction score
Its probably your left axle. Usually the motto is ...
turn right and hear noise...its your left axle
turn left and hear noise...its your right axle.

If you get under and check its boot you might see the boot torn and spitting grease.

That being said, you can possibly still drive on it for longer if something more urgent needs to be done on the car at the moment.

Whenever changing your passenger axle, drain your tranny fluid as it'll leak out when you pull the axle.

If you change the axle i'd consider the idea of spend an extra 10$ at honda and the the axle seal and change it as well. Remove the old seal very carefully so you dont scratch the casing. Tap the new seal in evenly until its body is flush with the casing. (that is the body, not the outer protruding lip). Use a socket or a PVC pipe the size of the seal to tap it in the place.

thanks for the help

Back