loud noise....please help

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
aight let me try to explain this a little better...

so when i'm coasting at any speed, the car still makes that noise. when i'm in neutral at a stand still and i rev the car, the car sounds fine....I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the exhaust. please, could you guys throw out more suggestions so i could just check everything? and the vibration is pretty small...its as if i had dirt tires rather than street tires.

mraw112

Reaction score
Exhaust would increase with rpms not speed. How loud is it? Getting a video of you driving with the noise would help.

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
i'm talking about coasting in neutral...i have a 5 speed.
i'll try to get a video up

finch13

Reaction score
Well, there only a few moving parts that would only do it when moving, without relationship to engine speed:

-Brakes
-Wheel bearings
-Bushings

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Well I know this from experience, that is why I suggested a cv boot. It will cause an unbalance of the axle at speeds above 30+ mph. It vibrated my whole car pretty bad. Remember how fast the wheels are spinning, even if one small weight falls off ur rim, u will feel it. Let alone, a 5 inch wide cv boot that is flapping around on the axle shaft.

Ohwell, I doubt its this anyways.

OK, in some respects you are right but I still have my doubts about a light rubber boot causing any sort of real loud noise (flapping maybe, but not deep like a "ricer" exhaust like he said).

If an object is out of balance it may be felt in the car but it depends on the origin of the vibration as well as the vibrations order (as in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd order vibrations).

A small amount of missing weight on a tire (such as 1/2 an ounce) will NOT make a difference. I have balanced numerous tires that were 1/2oz off and the customer was none the wiser and tire wore just fine.

You are forgetting the clues on this problem, this car has been MODIFIED. Start there. My guess is an outer wheel bearing. Most cars come from the factory with zero camber or a slight bit of positive camber. Zero camber ensures that that the wheel/hub assembly will put an equal amount of weight on both wheel bearings. Slight positive camber is used to load up the normally stronger inner wheel bearing (although with handling negatively affected). His car has negative camber, which will put more weight on the smaller, weaker inner wheel bearing.

For the user with the complaint; you need to drive the car near a wall with the stereo off and listen for a growl coming from either wheel while turning. Then, when you hear a growl, for example, coming from the left wheel, replace the right wheel bearing. <--- I know someone will ask why so I will explain. As you turn left, the left side of the car will raise, putting more weight on the right suspension, causing your growl.

storms

Reaction score
I have a simular prob found it was right rear wheel bearing, all I did was lift back of car spin the tire and listened carefully the bearing will make noise even when spun just not as loud! So listen very carefully!

mlp2435

Reaction score
my guess would be a wheel bearing. considering that it gets louder as you go. my integra had a bad front wheel bearing with very similiar symptoms to what you are saying. from my experience a rear wheel bearing will "humm" louder and louder as you go. a front wheel bearing makes some obscene noise and will cause vibration while driving and will only get worse. also FYI if it gets bad enough the wheel will fall off the car so be very careful and get it fixed asap

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
hey everyone, thanks for all your input. Would a hub centric rim keep from the putting uneven pressure on the wheel bearing?

Instead of buying new hubs, i might just do the 5 lug swap :)

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Not really. It will just help line up the wheel and ensure it is a proper fit to the hub. I think the real culprit is the negative camber. If the wheel bearing is bad, just have it replaced and it should last for quite some time.

Back