low light shooting tip?

finch13

Reaction score
wow thanks. learned a lot. i mostly take pictures outdoor when the sun is out but never really know how to adjust my settings to take pictures at night. only thing is i use a flash or tripod. lame, i know. haha. i might plan to buy some prime lenses in the future. btw, i have a Canon 30D.

My shots are at all times of the day whether it be 3pm or 3am. I don't even remember the last time I used flash for my pictures, only ambient lighting. If I can't get a fast enough shutter speed, onto the tripod we go. I don't really do action shots or stuff with movement, but even for most of those a flash won't fire far enough.

On another note, Studio 414 from Minneapolis has a weekly or is it bi-monthly now? photo contest. Grand prize is a Canon 5D MkII (~$3k camera). Entry fee is $35/pic, used to be $5. Be aware that the judges are two womenz and they tend to go for beauty/emotion pictures, so that awesome rolling shot of the Lambo you saw on the freeway probably won't make the cut. People who enter get to vote on others entries to narrow down a top 20 where the two womenz make the final vote.

Back