Low + Rough ideal then car dies on warm start ups

Teesak

Reaction score
First: sorry for the long post. I searched but this is a very specific issue that's been present for years off and on and I did not find a similar situation. It is a 99 V6 Accord, stock expect for spark plugs.

Problem: I can start the car cold no problem, and drive it no problem, things are normal when engine is warm. But if I turn the car off and say run into the bank or whatever else when I come back and try to start the car and the engine is warm there is a chance it wont start. Instead it will ideal low and rough for a couple of seconds before dying, the two solutions are either a) wait a few minutes and try again, or b) rev the engine until it warms up. If I do b) it revs funky and ideals rough for a minute before running normally again.
My sister had the car before me and she has experienced the same thing, it has been taken to a mechanic but of course it does not act up then. I have family who use to work for Honda and he never experienced it either. It does not happen a lot but when it does it will usually happen for a couple of days.
I changed the coolant a little while back and that seemed to help as it was over due, but the problem is back. I also noticed the top of the radiator has a crack and have tried a couple of times to patch it but it has yet to work 100%. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks for any help

xci.ed6

Reaction score
no mil?

Right? Start with sea foam (clean system) in gas. Remove clean iacv w/ carb/th cleaner, ~1/2+ can. Clean egr, carb (not throttle body!) cleaner, whole can.

Reassemble. Other 1/2 can of carb/th cleaner, through intake (remove tube) while running! In spurts! May need to restart.

Then talk.

White6GAV6

Reaction score
I had this happen to me quite frequently a while ago. After 45 minutes of driving or so, and then let it sit for 30 minutes it would start up, rough idle, then stall. Hasn't happened for a while *knock on wood* and I could never get it happen for my mechanic. However there is a thread on here about it, it's called hot soak I believe. Not sure if they ever found a solution.

Teesak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys

no mil?

Right? Start with sea foam (clean system) in gas. Remove clean iacv w/ carb/th cleaner, ~1/2+ can. Clean egr, carb (not throttle body!) cleaner, whole can.

Reassemble. Other 1/2 can of carb/th cleaner, through intake (remove tube) while running! In spurts! May need to restart.

Then talk.

not sure what you mean by no mil... but I did do the sea foam treatment about 5k-7k miles ago. It may have helped at first but its hard to say for sure since it has been an on again, off again thing anyways.
EDIT: if you were asking for mileage its just over 140k

I had this happen to me quite frequently a while ago. After 45 minutes of driving or so, and then let it sit for 30 minutes it would start up, rough idle, then stall. Hasn't happened for a while *knock on wood* and I could never get it happen for my mechanic. However there is a thread on here about it, it's called hot soak I believe. Not sure if they ever found a solution.

Thanks for the info Ill look into hot soaking.

Could it have something to do with the weather? its seems it has happened more in the winter then summer but I could just be speculating.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
hot soaking on these cars can be ~million things.

mil = malfunction indicator light, aka cel = check engine light

once it is all clean, if the problem still exists, we'll address others

Back