Lowered Car = Trade in Loss?

cliffsta

Reaction score
Hey y'all long time no see. I'm about to buy a new car now that I'm out of college and rolling in the dough (yeah right) and my question pertains to trade in value and modified suspension.

My Accord has lowering springs currently installed. This is the one mod I cannot easily remove myself, and would cost upwards of $200 to have undone. Would I get killed at trade-in if I left the drop springs on the car, or would the difference in trade-in value not be worth the $200+ shop fee?

FYI looking at Genesis Coupe :)

turbo_911

Reaction score
I wanted to do that, and all the modified parts you have, dealers don't take into consideration. I heard some even give you less price because it is modified and like they say it's "unsafe" car.

The difference won't be worth it to pay $200 for the shop to remove them. Leave them in.

jwong512

Reaction score
Just show them your car and ask them how much they're willing to give to you. If its not too much of a hassle, i would sell it to a private party and get more for the car.

Genesis coupes are great cars. Base models come very loaded and the only thing missing is navi and leather. Are you getting a 2.0 or 3.8? I heard the 2.0 is slower but feels better to drive. Only issue with the manual is the 5th gear grinding above 4k rpm which they should've fixed already.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I live in an APT complex now so I don't have a great place to park it with a sign. I'm sure I could get more for it independently but I work so much I'd never have time to take care of all that. And my timetable is pretty immediate; taking vacation next week and I'd like to have a new car before going back to work. I'll be happy to get close to a couple grand for it B/C I can sell the rims / stereo down the road.

Looking at the 3.8 Grand Touring. Ive heard the 2.0 Turbo is fun, but I find myself falling back in to "no replacement for displacement" LOL. My mom has a new Sonata and it is well put together.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
I doubt that they would even notice the drop, don't even mention the springs. I mean seriously how low can springs go lol.

Tphong

Reaction score
Anything modded to the dealership doesn't count towards value. The only mod you can have is probably a genuine honda part and possibly showing a receipt as well to show them the value. So say you do trade in your car you can probably get $3000 for your car and then they turn around and sell your car for like $8000 because of the mods on it. So it's probably better to try to sell it privately.

dtraill27

Reaction score
You'd be better selling privately as is always the case but I never had the time to either. I wouldn't rush into the car though (said you wanted it before going back to work). Have you looked at any competitors in that price range?

Back