Mah system (INSTALLED!!!)

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score
Well Im still waiting on the key part to the system, the sub lol. Over two weeks ago I ordered a 12" Fi bl D2 with hyper pole option, and according to ups it hasn't even left the warehouse yet... :( I will be running it with my Clarion dpx11500 amp at 1 ohm, so about 1400 watts rms.

In the mean time here's everything else I have

Dash pods custom crafted by myself. They are crossed over at 400hz at 6db/octave at the cost of $2 from radio shack :)
35b60q8.jpg

2nlbuoo.jpg

Little peak inside my trunk with the backseat armrest down, the wires are a mess untill I have a massive urge to rerun everything... The urge has been building for a long time now but I am lazy
2d95q35.jpg

Door speakers run off the crappy sony amp in the previous pic, but it does the job though(they are installed now but I have no installed pics. Kicker ssmb6)
2885fs4.jpg

So my alpine deck runs the blaupunkt ts352 3.5 speakers in the dash and my blaupunkt ts693 6x9s in the rear, and the kicker midbass are in the door run off the sony. The stage sounds amazing with bass at +0 treble at +0 fader and balance center, I almost couldnt believe when I hooked it all up I could center every setting and it sounded best that way...

I have Raamat bxt deadener in the doors and 3 layers on the trunk lid.
160642u.jpg

The reason I am getting a new sub...(I had/have a 15" Fi Q in 4 cubic feet ported at 31 hz)
2vn1ead.jpg

And then
2pqp2lc.jpg

I fixed everything and it works fine and sounds good, but I am just tired of it, the epoxy I used on the new coil I wrapped doesnt smell pleasant when it gets hot, and Im tired of having ZERO trunk space, I still wont have much with the 12 though...

Box for the 12...
m7dnpz.jpg

2w7pjyv.jpg

v4sdvo.jpg

I still need to go pick up carpet and wrap this box. Its primarily 1" high grade MDF(although it is still mdf :() and its about 2.5 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz with the plug in, and for comps with the port plug out its 40-42 hz im not sure on the exact tuning.

Haha sorry that was really long but I just though Id throw everything up on here, more pics and maybe vids to come as more progress is made...

:p

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Re: Mah system

is MDF something that you can pick up at home depot?

Yeah, not sure about 1" high grade though. Almost any home improvement store carries 3/4" MDF in 4'x4' or 4'x8'.

The box looks great though. What is the purpose of the port plug? Does it just make the port larger?

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score

nice. but how did the motor crack like that?

No idea man. I had one of the 5 or 6 subs that Fi knows of that had a faulty magnet. When I pulled the cone out I saw that where the basket bolts into the motor there are six holes, and only 5 have screws in them, and the crack is centered around the missing screw... weird huh?

Yeah, not sure about 1" high grade though. Almost any home improvement store carries 3/4" MDF in 4'x4' or 4'x8'.

The box looks great though. What is the purpose of the port plug? Does it just make the port larger?

[RANT]I absolutely hate 3/4" mdf from hardware stores, it is insanely flimsy and if you drop a piece more than 6 inches there goes an edge or a corner... Itll hold up decent though and it is really easy to finish and make it look good. The majority of the boxes i've built were of 3/4" industrial particle board with melamine cladding. I could barely flex a 4'x3' panel by pushing against the center but a 1'x2' piece of hardware mdf I could flex quite a bit...[/RANT]

Well yes it does make the port larger, which in turn raises the tuning frequency of the box by around 10hz. 32hz is a great daily tuning and it will sound good, but it wont put up that good of numbers on the meter. With the plug out it's closer to 41 which should put up about 2-3db higher on the meter, but it wont work so well for daily... make sense?

finch13

Reaction score

Ah yeah makes sense. Just wondering what the results were since I've never seen that kind of box before.

3/4" MDF is great for the price and for people who don't have subs that can create any sort of decent SPL... like me :hide:

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score

haha yea, itll hold up decent with a semi-light sub that doesnt push much air. My first box I ever built was for my 15" Fi Q that almost does hair tricks it moves so much air... Im gonna miss it but the bl will be louder and give me more trunk space so I cant complain :p

xx24xx

Reaction score

Nice setup. I like how you curved the corners. I read somewhere that Fi has been having problems internally as a company for the past year. Perhaps the business just blew up? Either way they take care of you over there.

They sell MDF almost an inch thick at Home Depot. You can also get birch, but it's more expensive or even HDF if they carry it. Try asking your local shop where they order theirs from. Maybie they can get you a deal or better yet... give you a deal building a box to specs.

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score

Idk what fi's deal is but all I know is im getting very irritated from waiting 2 1/2 weeks for a sub that hasnt even left the warehouse yet... When I ordered the Q it took a week and a half to my door... :(

I forgot that HDF exists lol thats possibly what my box is made of. All I know is its definitely fiberboard, its incredibly solid, its heavy as ****, its melamine clad, and my dad got it from some building he was working on(hes a union carpenter) for free :p

Back