me lowering? no way!!

theaccordian

Reaction score
whats this I hear about konis for our cars you have to take out the rear shocks to adjust them?

klee

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
whats this I hear about konis for our cars you have to take out the rear shocks to adjust them?

You don't have to remove the shocks at all to adjust them. The problem with the rears is the adjustment knob is behind the bolster cushions in the rear seats. You have to drop the rear seats, remove the two sides that are held in by two 12mm bolts, remove the plastic trim piece in front of the rear speaker deck and then you will be able to see the top of the shocks. It takes less than 5 minutes to take all of that apart. Just be careful when you remove the plastic trim piece because that is held in with clips that can break. The shock itself can be adjusted from soft to firm dampening by using a white adapter to turn the screw at the top of the shock and you can also adjust the height by moving the spring perch to three different locations on the shock body (this only applies to standard lowering springs and not coilovers).

Currently my setup, the Konis are set to medium front and back, Skunks are turned down 3 in the rear and 4 in the font which gives me about a 2 inch drop all around for a pretty even look. The ride can be bumpy at times but it's difficult to compromise street/race setup in order for me to hit the tracks on the weekend. I'll post pics up soon in the eye candy section.

klee

Reaction score
da mayor said:
isn't the cost of the skunk2's w/ koni's the same price as the new coilovers that just came out?

Skunk2s brand new from a friend: $60
Konis: With 10K miles on them $250 from a friend.

I can't complain.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
^^ i wouldnt either.........im gettin mine off ebay and thats the cheepest ive found em, i think my skunk2s are gonna be like $260? not sure, but around there.

98AccrdSdn

Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend Skunk 2's. I had them. Didnt drop me enough. So I got rid of them. And got a set of cheaper coilovers that looked much better. And dropped me two inches lower than the Skunk 2's. Also they didnt sacrifice much ride quality. But the Skunk 2's are a good coilover if youre not going for an extreme drop. I recommend you get Tokico struts. They work very good. And you dont have to worry about busting one because they are high quality.

theaccordian

Reaction score
klee said:
You don't have to remove the shocks at all to adjust them. The problem with the rears is the adjustment knob is behind the bolster cushions in the rear seats. You have to drop the rear seats, remove the two sides that are held in by two 12mm bolts, remove the plastic trim piece in front of the rear speaker deck and then you will be able to see the top of the shocks. It takes less than 5 minutes to take all of that apart. Just be careful when you remove the plastic trim piece because that is held in with clips that can break. The shock itself can be adjusted from soft to firm dampening by using a white adapter to turn the screw at the top of the shock and you can also adjust the height by moving the spring perch to three different locations on the shock body (this only applies to standard lowering springs and not coilovers).

Currently my setup, the Konis are set to medium front and back, Skunks are turned down 3 in the rear and 4 in the font which gives me about a 2 inch drop all around for a pretty even look. The ride can be bumpy at times but it's difficult to compromise street/race setup in order for me to hit the tracks on the weekend. I'll post pics up soon in the eye candy section.

mines worse I gotta do all that plus remove the shock tower bolts and twist the shock up or down.I already broke a plastic clip and stripped one of the 12mm screws, now Icant get that seat cushion off!!I need to adjust and cant get to it. How would I get that bolt out??!!or can I just break the clip and have the seat cushion hold it in.

klee

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
mines worse I gotta do all that plus remove the shock tower bolts and twist the shock up or down.I already broke a plastic clip and stripped one of the 12mm screws, now Icant get that seat cushion off!!I need to adjust and cant get to it. How would I get that bolt out??!!or can I just break the clip and have the seat cushion hold it in.

Which bolt are you referring to? The top 14mm bolt holding the shock in place or the 12mm bolt at the bottom holding the side seat bolster in place? Regardless, here are a few methods I used to remove stripped bolts. 1.)If the bolt is not seized and fairly easy to turn but difficult to get to use pliers or a vise grip. 2.)If the bolt is difficult to remove then locate a socket slightly smaller than the stripped bolt that you don't care about. Grab a hammer and smack that socket on the stripped bolt. Use your socket wrench to remove the bolt. 3.)Borrow or buy a dremel with a rotary metal saw head. Cut a slot in the middle of the bolt head and then remove it with a decent size standard screwdrive that will give you leverage. 4.)The last option, drill or blow torch the bolt out. For this option, I take it to the shop because I don't trust myself to drill cleanly or use the torch correctly.

theaccordian

Reaction score
the 12mm bolt on the bottom that holds in the seat cushion. I torqued it to hard and when i tried to get it off it stripped and when i try take it off the scoket just spins around it and the bolt doesnt move

Back