Mikey's 2001 Sedan EX

Mikey

Reaction score
I posted in DesiKid's thread, but I just got some Grom Audio Bluetooth unit that plugs into the back of the OEM radio. Amazing sound quality and retains all stock button functions for spotify.

Would you guys go HIDs or LEDs now?
I found my Bluetooth cassette so I’m ticking that now. And not a moment too soon as my 24/7 Christmas music channel is about to drop

Standard housings, I’d say either. LEDs are probably “better” on the eyes but both suck for oncoming drivers. Try to find a good set of retros and go LED.

UPDATES: …….. picked up new(used) washer nozzles at a JY. Better than the old ones but still poopy. Ordered a replacement kit with hoses and whatnot. We’ll see how that goes.

Keep/still getting a CEL for random misfire(s). Car doesn’t lag or run any different. Probably just needs plugs and coils. I’ll do them eventually

Found a wingless trunk at the JY but didn’t have a small enough socket to remove the tail lights. As I started attempting to remove it I realized it’s going to be a lot more involved than I thought. A lot more parts to remove and fish out and fish in than I thought. May go back next week or week after.

Getting what sounds like a suspension noise. Almost the same noise my coupe was making. Wondering if it’s shocks or some sort of joint/link/bushing…

Mikey

Reaction score
Wingless trunk acquired.

Scratch that.

Wingless trunk INSTALLED :rock:
The clear is failing on it pretty bad so I wasn’t sure at first how I’d feel about it but I’ve gotten a couple of distant views of it in the sunlight and I’m not even sorry. It looks SOO much better without the spoiler. I know that sounds blasphemous somehow but with the little rear window lip I have it looks loads better. Body gap is a *little* more than I’d like but I tested it and it’s gotten some rain testing and so far it doesn’t leak. It springs up with some speed but nothing too crazy.

Had to buy a socket for the third brake light as mine was gone for some reason. Got an LED bulb in there. Getting a weird lighting angle issue with it now but I can’t seem to find what’s causing it. Doesn’t effect functionality or outside visibility; it’s more of a me / inside the car thing so I may just leave it.

Next on my list (besides wheels, which I’m CONSTANTLY looking for) might be fogs or a retro. I’m dying for a set of fogs but I also kinda wanna hold out for a coupe bumper and then try and do 7G/TL fogs. I want a retro, or a set of black houses, cuz the ones I have now are garbage. Even with my HIDs visibility is crap.

Washer nozzle kit came. It’s not top tier Honda parts but it works for now.

Mikey

Reaction score
Wingless trunk still going strong. I feel like I heard or read somewhere that some sort of adjusting or adjustment can be made to something somewhere to help close the body lines/gap?? IDK.

Picked up a “genuine” red “H” for the trunk. Looks a little ricer. I love it!

Picked up blacked house headlights and a gasket kit for the vtec solenoid and oil filter housing. Plan on doing the solenoid soon, once it warms up a little bit.

Where do I start with the headlights? When I test drove this car, the windshield had(and still has) a wave in it, the AC didn’t work and the guy selling it was flipping it and he performed body work. ALL red flags and I should’ve known better. Didn’t get a carfax and I still haven’t.
Pretty positive it’s got a front end collision on it. Main bash bar is straight with just a *TOUCH* of damage/rust on the last like 2 inches of the driver side. Rad support looks straightened and hood latch latches but it sits at an off angle. Also, the left headlight doesn’t sit flush with the left fender. My guess is someone came up on a larger vehicle too fast and swerve to the right, hitting said large vehicle with the front left side of the car. Sold it the guy I bought from and he replaced the bumper and headlights and probably threw in the cheapest, used windshield he could find.
Oh, and the power steering pump was, and still is, whining. More so then than now…

Anyway, removed old left headlight and found the far left bottom bracket had been broken off. Attempted to to install the new headlight and alignment was WAY off. Barely got the top bolt in. Side mounting bolt was decent and the underside holes don’t line up at all. It got dark and cold so I just rolled it into the garage to mess with tomorrow. Should be able to manipulate it enough to get the one hole that holds both the light and bumper bracket to the car. Hoping the right side light goes smoother.

STILL CAN’T EDIT THE OP!!!

Passenger seat base moves forward and back but the switch for the seat back is broken and you can lean the seat forward or backward at all. Also the SRS light on most likely due to dirty buckle connections and/or the recall needs done. My local Honda won’t do them so I have to take it to the next dealer, an hour away.

CEL(s) for misfire(s). Almost positive it’s plugs and coils. Gonna pick up a set of NGK plugs and gonna see if I can’t pick up a dozen or so coils from a junkyard. New ones are just too much and coils almost never go bad. It’ll be cheaper to just get them from a JY and see what happens.

Picked a set of brand new rear ACDelco rotors locally for $30. Fronts and new pads are also on my list.

That’s really about it for now. Plugs/coils, VTEC solenoid, and pads/rotors. Still looking for wheels. Local guy has a set of civic Si wheels but I think they’re aftermarket replacements so IDK how I feel about them. He wants $200 for them. Holding out for either UA 5 spokes or some fat five TL/7GA wheels.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The 4 screws that attach the lid to the arms are how you adjust panel gap.

I bought my coupe from a guy who was selling for another guy who owned a body shop. I should have walked away too but the bright shiny paint and basically everything else about the car sucked me in at the time. But in its old age those weaknesses have revealed themselves. I will likely never buy a car that has had any damage ever again.

How did you know the gasket for the vtec solenoid & oil filter housing needed replaced? Just curious as I may need to do that.

Hope the passenger seat fix isn't too much of a pain.

Mikey

Reaction score
The 4 screws that attach the lid to the arms are how you adjust panel gap.

I bought my coupe from a guy who was selling for another guy who owned a body shop. I should have walked away too but the bright shiny paint and basically everything else about the car sucked me in at the time. But in its old age those weaknesses have revealed themselves. I will likely never buy a car that has had any damage ever again.

How did you know the gasket for the vtec solenoid & oil filter housing needed replaced? Just curious as I may need to do that.

Hope the passenger seat fix isn't too much of a pain.
I thought about those four bolts but was sure. I’ll look into that. Thanks.

Yeah, I should’ve taken more time or asked more questions. The hood and bumper are definitely aftermarket. One or both of the front fender liners are replacements as were the headlights that were in it. There was/is overspray all over the car and orange peel EVERYWHERE. It’s a 10-foot car for sure, lol.

As far as the VTEC solenoid… I’m guessing. Lol. My coupe’s solenoid was leaking (not this bad) but bad enough that a few places had seen it and said something to me about it. I’m pretty sure they’re a common fail/leak point so even if the leak I’ve got isn’t it, it won’t hurt to do it. If the leak I have isn’t the solenoid then it’s my PS pump but the fluid is black and smells of oil. I guess we shall see.

The passenger seat isn’t high on my list at the moment as no one ever rides in it, lol. When they do it’s in a pretty good spot that it’s not uncomfortable. It’s just one of those “piece of mind” fixes for me.

Got the lights swapped out. Holy buckets. Car has definitely been wrecked. Driver side light was an absolute nightmare to get in. Not sure how I did but I did. Right side wasn’t as bad but still needed a little coercing. Let’s see if I can get pics up…

IMG_6209.jpeg

IMG_6208.jpeg

IMG_6219.jpeg

IMG_6216.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

A little hard to tell but noticeable if you know what you’re looking at.

That’s it for now. Still have to drive it at night and see how the lighting angles are and make adjustments.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Current mileage: 163,229.

Right headlight looks to be aimed okay but the left one is too high. Hoping they have more adjustability than the previous set and I don’t have to live with blinding people all the time.

Still wanna find the DOB of this one. I knew what my coupe’s was but I can’t remember where or how I got that information.

Also, another bit of an update, I saw someone on one of the Facebook pages put Tundra HVAC knobs on his AC controls so I did the same.

IMG_6229.jpeg

They’re definitely larger. Some of the light shines through. I’m in the fence with them. They do look nice and add an updated touch. Unfortunately they’re sold in sets of three so if I wanna do the radio I have to buy another set of 3 and have 2 extra knobs. Another thing that suck is that when they’re on the AC controls, the notches line up accordingly. If you were to put them on the radio, the notches won’t necessarily always line up.

Also found a set of grey coupe headrests but there’s a problem…

IMG_4720.jpeg

They’re not the same color as the seat. Also not sure how I feel about it. Luckily they do match some of the other interior trim as far as color goes but I feel like I’d feel a little better if they matched entirely. Maybe I’ll find some grey coupe seats and swap them in, lol.

Mikey

Reaction score
Did I mention the red lug nuts? A little more ricer to add in, lol. It’s subtle but I like it.

I think brakes and rotors may also be on the list.

Mikey

Reaction score
Low fuel light hasn’t worked since day one but no surprise. My coupe’s light quit after like 5 or 6 years of MY ownership. Saw someone on one of the Facebook pages just swap in a new sending unit and it fixed it. They’re less than $20 and not that difficult to do so I may add that to my list as well.

Total transparency, and it may be nothing, but I’m toying with the notion of selling it…

A co-worker is looking for a car for her son and he’s not too picky as long as it’s solid. Other than an oil change, plugs, the vtec solenoid gasket(s) and maybe, in the least, new brake pads it’s a ripper. It has a few minor issues but for a first car, I think it’d be great. Haven’t asked her about it yet but I will tomorrow. Been looking at cars in my price range and have found a few but nothing that calls to me so…IDK. It all depends on whether or not they’ve found him a car, if they’ll pay what I’m asking, and if they’re okay with it as it sits.

Mikey

Reaction score
No word from the co-worker. Regardless, pretty positive my leak is the VTEC solenoid. I have all 3 gaskets to do it, the filter housing, and the sensor. Gotta procure a filter and oil. Getting OEM filter from Honda and going with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30. We carry 5w30 at work but it’s not “high mileage” and even after my discount it’d be about the same price.

Only thing(s) I’m kinda worried about are toque specs on the housing bolts. I’ve read 16-18(20?) ft/lbs but everything I’ve seen and read says ratchet tight (or small extension tight) should be sufficient.
And I’ll need a 22mm socket/wrench for the sensor and I’m not sure I have one, lol.

I suppose for myself, later reference, and perhaps anyone else doing this, here’s what I’m told I’ll need:

Jack
2x Jack stands
19mm socket (lug nuts)
Ratchet
Extension(s)
12mm socket (filter housing bolts)
10mm socket (solenoid bolts)
22mm socket/wrench (to remove sensor)
17mm socket (oil drain plug)
4.6 ( “five” ) quarts oil (I’m using 5w30)
Oil filter (OEM - 15400-PLM-A02)
Gasket Kit (Felpro - 73040)

OPTIONAL:
Torque wrench (lug nuts, filter housing bolts)
pick set (removing gaskets)
brake kleen

I guess technically you don’t NEED to change the oil but you’re removing the filter housing and filter and my car is due for one so I’m changing it. ‍:shrug:

Wish me luck!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I love Brakeleen, I use it to get dried food outta my kids' hair. Just kidding...

..or am I?

Good luck with the job!

PS way back when I decided to rely on my low fuel light ONCE and it left me stranded on the side of the highway. Longest walk ever to/from the next exit to buy & fill a jerry can at the station...never again. Especially since the side of the highway is not as "safe" as it used to be thanks to dumb drivers. Way too many instances of law enforcement or people otherwise pulled over getting wiped out by some idiot not paying attention.

PPS yea find matching headrests. :lawl:

Back