Mikey's 2001 V6 Coupe

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Lol if I had a dime for every time I've heard you say that. I've certainly thought about one for my next car. Nothing wrong with the V6 model, you basically get the look of the GT just different wheels and tail lights I think. It makes less power than the V8 but it makes more of its torque at lower RPM's. I'd love a GT or GXP in white, but would take dark gray metallic too. My only beef with it is the interior is just okay, but I could live with it maybe. They're also heavy at 4000lbs, but the GT has the cylinder shutdown which helps with gas a little.

This is nice mileage GT for the money, though it has been lightly modified:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[PONT[G8[]][]]&listingId=416494964&Log=0

Here's a V6 in blue, I didn't even know they came in this color. Lower miles for a decent price I'd say. Don't know what your budget is though.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[PONT[G8[]][]]&listingId=416870449&Log=0

Great now I'm looking at cars.

Mikey

Reaction score
That GT is a little outta my price range. A lot out of my price range, actually, lol. That V6 is nice. I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable but I like the red/clear tails that came on the 09 as opposed to the all-clears on the 08s. Black leather is fine by me. Heated seats, as well. I kinda wish it had a sunroof but $15k isn't bad at all. Autotrader only shows one within 200 miles with less than 100k and its a v6 with 90k for $11,000. :/

Mikey

Reaction score
So...semi backed into me on Christmas Day, at work. Long story short, I didn't go through insurance and he bought me a bumper off of eBay. Paint job is a B+ but the fitment is absolute crap. I don't know if it sat somewhere for a while or if it's just a crappy bumper or both. It's on but I had to fight it like crazy. Fitment was so bad that I had to remove the styrofoam pre-bumper thing. I'm gonna look over the old one and see how bad the damage really is. I'm considering just cross-stitching it with zip-ties. I've already got one spot on the lower left by the fog light, why not more. Plus I fear this thing popping off on the road or highway. I don't know. I should've gone through insurance but the way it happened could've been turned on me and then I'd be responsible plus my insurance would go up. It was a ****ty deal either way.
Removing the old one got me really looking at the hardware though. I'm thinking of ordering a handful of clips and a few screws and what-not. Otherwise, same old same old. Found a spot on the passenger side between the sunroof and windshield where the paint or clear is fading. Was hopng I wouldn't have to go through that in my ownership but it is what it is. Still just a daily driver.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Sucks, Mikey.

Still should have gone to Honda for the bumper, though.

Throw up some pics of what we're looking at.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck man. Were you parked in a loading zone or truck lane or something? Curious how things could have gone the other way.

I would have had him pay to have your OEM bumper repaired, instead of buying an aftermarket. Some aftermarkets are pretty decent from what I've heard people say on here, but you have to be picky with them apparently. Wonder if he would have gone for getting one through Honda, since that would be pretty expensive to buy/paint.

You are so meticulous with your coupe, I hate to see you unhappy with something on it.

RawCarnage

Reaction score
one thing i learned as being a trucker is everything is your(truckers) fault. if you were parked near a back up zone it is the truckers job/responsibility to get out and look before backing up. hence why he was paying for your bumper through ebay. he would get in trouble with the company if they found out. if anything cant be done with the oem bumper i would just make a junkyard run if you have any of those around you.

Mikey

Reaction score
We had both turned into the same place. For one reason or another, he came to a screeching halt. We were low speed enough that I stopped in time. We sat there for a minute waiting for whatever he stopped for to finish/go/move. As with all manual transmission vehicles, his truck creeped back a bit. (We were on a level surface). I stayed put. He was barely creeping back...still creeping..still creeping. By now he's getting close and I figure he's either gonna creep into me or start backing up. So I go to move the shifter into reverse and lay in my horn and the second I take my foot off the brake and go the gas, he was already backed into me. Trailers don't have reverse lights and his 4-ways weren't on either.
Due to the location of the entrance and where we stopped, I was about 35 feet behind him. Once he had gotten about 10 or 15 feet away i decided I was gonna back up but he had already gassed into reverse and bumped me.
He begged me not to go through insurance due to a $2500 deductible and offered to just buy one from eBay. I told him it was probably gonna cost about $500 to fix and if he could give me cash right then I'd walk. His buddy then googled a replacement and was like "they're only $200, bro". We swapped info, I took pictures of everything and we kept in contact until the new bumper showed up.
I work there and I know there are cameras that probably caught it so I could go through insurance. I just feel like they would do the same thing and buy a cheap aftermarket bumper.
I was looking it over and it's damaged more than I originally thought but the only thing I need is the foam pre-bumper. It's only like $35 but I'd have to zip-tie or find some other way of "bonding" the old bumper back together. I'm just so burned by the whole thing. I should've just gone through insurance

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don't want to :beatdeadhorse5: so lesson learned I guess. That's a hard one, sorry again dude.

Got pics of the damage? Wondering just how severe it is.

Mikey

Reaction score
New bumper; hard to see the distortion but it's not flat like it should be, it's wavy.

4B89B81A-E4B1-4570-8CEB-52923618FD96_zpsitlm2ahk.jpg

You can still see some of the powder residue. They painted the lower center; OEM was left grey. :\

0D6E232C-929F-4FBC-B490-502B8512C56C_zpsrp0fa3sl.jpg

Older damage; bottom left...

11CEDF4D-5E1A-44A5-A907-E9700A5A6D7F_zpsmudpqpac.jpg

Damage in the center...

32E27C03-6AA4-440B-87AE-C72396255DA0_zpsjezmt2v1.jpg

852081B9-7ED4-4AE6-8DAB-457521A068E0_zpsqkmqftiy.jpg

D66AD285-F30E-4B14-A23A-FCD6334FDAD6_zpsu6k5osz1.jpg

DFB13859-8F77-4BE8-B8AE-AED32818BA79_zps00yc6ian.png

The old foam pre-bumper did it's job...

5705E6E5-0B3D-4E10-BB37-138246879775_zpsz59hwhp7.jpg

Like I said earlier, the new one was so misshapen that I had to remove the foam piece altogether. So if I keep this new bumper I won't/can't have that piece. I'd like to think that once it's on there a while and maybe once summer rolls around and the heat gets to it, it'll mold better but we'll see.

Back