Minor valve noise after valve adjustment question ???

paypalbid

Reaction score
So I decided to do a valve adjustment on my car 4cyl. I'm fully aware of proper procedure of set the first cyl to top dead center and turn the cam/crank 90 degree working in the order of 1-3-4-2.

I checked the clearance of the valves and they were way too tight for the specs of what honda recommend on both exhaust and intake sides. I had a buddy do it and I suspect he overtightened the valves.

Anyway so I decided to adjust my valves within honda specs to the low end of recommendation .009 for intake and .011 for exhaust.

After the valves adjustment I noticed the car performed better, car seems to have more torque and vtec had better response. The only issue is the car seem to have a minor valve tick noise, minor that you can hardly hear while inside the car. With the hood close you can hear it a little bit but nothing too crazy. I suspect that my friend previously had over tighten the valves so may have ****ed up the springs ?

What should I do at this point ? Should I leave the valves within specs and live with the minor tick. Should I adjust the valves tighter than the lower end of recommend specs to eliminate the minor tick noise ?

btw..car has 253,000 miles

thanks

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
It depends, when did you check your valve clearences? You have to do it when your car is completely cold, heat makes thing expand and you will get false measurements.

paypalbid

Reaction score
did it first thing in the morning. valves completely cold after sitting over night in the drive way.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I didnt see that your car has 253k! Yea, id say you might be do for a rebuilt head!

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Meh, if you car has 253k on it I would say a little valve tick is normal. You could replace the springs and retainers, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Depends on how long you're planning on keeping the car.

finch13

Reaction score
Valves aren't supposed to be adjusted unless they are making noise... it sounds like your buddy needs to stop by again and redo it.

I just did one on Friday and my valves were noisier afterwards as well. Turned out that my classmates had a hard time accurately finding TDC while I was adjusting them, causing an excessive tick on cyl. #1.

Make sure the feeler gauge is lying perfectly flat, any sort of bending or twisting on it will cause more friction than is actually there, so you might tighten he nut before the tappet is tight enough on the valve.

Back