misfire at idle when A/C is on?

silverbullet99

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's ever had this problem before, but after the motor has warmed up and idles normally (750-800 rpms) when the A/C is running, it will misfire for less than a second every 30 seconds or so. above idle it's fine. runs great otherwise. hasn't stalled on me yet. it is def not the compressor kicking on and off, I can tell you that for sure.
the motor was dropped and she sat in my garage all winter. a few people said i probably had water in the gas from just sitting so long, but after like 5 bottles of fuel injector cleaner and a few tanks of gas, the problem keeps coming back. what is kind of odd is whenever i dump some injector cleaner in, the problem seems to go away for the next 50ish miles. I'm guessing my best option is to drain all the gas in my tank? not sure if that would even make a difference since its been about 1500 miles since the old gas was in there. then maybe some new injectors if that doesn't work out? I don't like being a "parts slapper" tho, I'd rather just diagnose it right and fix it right the first time without spending 10,000 dollars on parts.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Iwould have siphoned the gas before even trying to start the car from sitting more than 6months. How do you know its misfiring anyways? you should get a cel, the computer is pretty sensative to that.

I would start the car at least once a month to keep seals wet, things lubed.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
to tell you the truth, it might not have been misfiring. the only reason I thought it was is because the whole motor would shake for a second like it was off balance. I guess it was more of a weak spark issue. I would have started it once a month but the motor was ripped out and being rebuilt. I had put stabil in the tank but it was only like 1/3 full. Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I just hit 105k and the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor were all original. those were like the only few parts I didn't replace when I rebuilt my motor. I swapped the wires, cap, and rotor with my 99 accord and the problem instantly went away. then when I was driving the 99 accord it almost stalled on me lol so I knew for sure thats all it was. I can't believe honda charges 80 bucks for the plug wires alone. I only ended up paying like 75 for the wires, cap, and rotor tho so I couldn't complain. I'm really happy because the LX runs beautiful now, and all the money I spent rebuilding it, was worth it in the end.

Bond4387

Reaction score
Glad to hear you fixed your problem. I'm at 96k and my cap, rotor and wires are still all original lol. From 02. So I'd say its time for me to do the same and replace them. Where did you go to get your things for that price?

silverbullet99

Reaction score
I work at a honda dealership so I only have to pay 5% over what they get it for (instead of like 35% lol)

Back