Mixing and matching? Yay or nay

EastSideRide

Reaction score
So I'm just asking this question for a friend since I already have my suspension set ordered. But he wants to know if he can mix 2 different brands of lowering springs together. Something that has a 2.5in drop in the front and a 2in drop in the rear. I would assume it would be fine as long as he buys better struts to handle it (which I think he did). I know for a fact he already has one set that is a 2in drop for the rear and are not progressive springs. But he is looking at progressive springs now that he wants to throw in the front.

I'm not an expert so I just thought I'd ask for him since he doesn't use forums... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You do not want linear springs at one end and progressive at the other. He should either sell the linear springs and get a full progressive set, or buy a pair of linears for the front to go with the linear pair he has for the rear. He should be approaching this differently.

It matters whether both pairs of springs are progressive or linear, and if the spring lengths/rates are proportional between front and back. I'd find out the lengths of various complete sets of drop springs and compare those lengths/rates with the springs he is looking at getting. Also a big factor is that various pairs of springs will drop a car more in front than rear, or same all around, etc...you don't want to get that wrong. Basically he needs to make sure that the springs he is mixing together will work correctly. In the end it makes more sense to just buy a complete set imo. But people have mixed and matched.

Last edited:

EastSideRide

Reaction score
That was my thought as well. I think it was the H&R's that drop 2.2 in the front and 1.7 in the rear. I linked them to him but he said they where too expensive. Its the race line I think they go for $225.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sure, why not. Not left & right springs, not roundy-round racing. See what happens.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention, I had tokico blues and they sucked, I used to live in jersey and their roads terrible, and so they blew within a year. Also I've used different setups for front and rear,seen it done, it is very possible, but not really recommended I guess

Back