Motor mounts ,could I have messed something up

Theory208

Reaction score
I just put the side and front motor mounts in (filled them). I just thought of something though. When I did the work, the car was on jacks. I barely moved the engine around. Should I have disconnected the drive shaft before I took the mounts out? The cars not ready to be driven yet, so I don't know. Has anyone ever heard of some disaster like messing up the splines on the drive shaft? thanks

finch13

Reaction score
Well, the only joint that would bend from raising/lowering the engine are the CV joints...also wouldn't affect the halfshaft going to the driver's side axle because it's bolted to the block...

You can move the engine a lot while 1 or 2 mounts are off, you should be fine.

You fill them with polyurethane or wha?

Theory208

Reaction score
Cool, I'm a worry wort I guess you could say. :doh: yeah, I filled them with the 3m super fast window weld. I set up some levels to give me some what of a tollerence, I guess you could say-
level.jpg

Theory208

Reaction score
^ I don't know if it's safe or not. If anything, it couldn't hurt ne thing. I didn't cut out the pre-existing rubber, just filled the gaps . I've read some good things on the net, so I figured I'd give it a try. I read on one diy that just doing the front and rear mounts completly got rid of their wheel hop. How true? I don't know. I hope it helps, other wise I wasted a ton of time, and about 40$. Car back on road in couple days.

nathan007

Reaction score
When i did my front and rear engine mounts, one at a time, (new ones + urethane filling), i put the engine on jack stands to help support the weight. I didnt run into any issues.. If the engine didnt really move, you should be alright.

It did help alot with wheel hop issues, but be prepared for alot of vibrations, and with time, rattle issues.

Theory208

Reaction score
Ah hell, I filled all 4. Probably gunna feel like driving on a dirt road. 150k miles means game time, oh well. Good lookin though

Back