muffler?

kevo

Reaction score
Alright check it out....I'm ready for a change up looks/ sound. I have an apxei 4.5" n1 muffler big as hell and pretty loud/ everybody and their babies mamma wants to race cuz its loud lol any ways I have 3" piping along with it so it added a lot of the fart sound at lower rpms and I'm kinda tired of it. I'm looking into going with a magnaflow muffler not 100% sure on the length of the muffler but I'm thinking of 3"in and 2.5 out center, center. Now we get to the the questions of, does this work with it being a smaller outlet vs the larger inlet, how would it change the sound, and since emissions are coming up in Jan I wana through a cat on the car would the combo make it sound more plesant?

Please keep the sarcasm to a min:beer2:

Edit: I have no plans on down sizing, 3" is too big for now I know but its on the car already for future mods.

Thanks for any and all insite on this and bre there are a $hit ton of
exhaust question threads:lawl:

Last edited:

JetLife

Reaction score
you don't want to go from a 3" pipe to a smaller outlet. just the opposite. you'd be restricting doing that

Elite1JDM

Reaction score
You should get 2.5 inch piping with a 2.5 cat, paired to a 2.5 inlet vibrant muffler or a magnaflow. Magnaflow is a bit louder. I think magnaflow sounds better on a v6, just in my opinion. 3'' is overkill on a stock engine without boost.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
4 cyl?

To be honest, just go with 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" piping to a muffler.

There's no point in anything bigger unless you're running some crazy setups.

kevo

Reaction score
you don't want to go from a 3" pipe to a smaller outlet. just the opposite. you'd be restricting doing that

I see, hmm but wouldn't it help just cause I'm already losing back pressure due to the larger piping , and just to clear it up in means connecting to the exhaust pipe and out being on the other end of the end? It's dumb I know I just wana make sure I'm saying this all right.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
What I would do is get a really big resonator, with 2.5 in and out, then go with straight piping all the way back to the bumper. For the Cat, get a test pipe with the right flanges and then swap it for the cat at the emissions test then swap it back out afterward.

Elite1JDM

Reaction score
I see, hmm but wouldn't it help just cause I'm already losing back pressure due to the larger piping , and just to clear it up in means connecting to the exhaust pipe and out being on the other end of the end? It's dumb I know I just wana make sure I'm saying this all right.

i dont get it man!!:(

ejreams

Reaction score
You should get 2.5 inch piping with a 2.5 cat, paired to a 2.5 inlet vibrant muffler or a magnaflow. Magnaflow is a bit louder. I think magnaflow sounds better on a v6, just in my opinion. 3'' is overkill on a stock engine without boost.

This is true, and honestly, you're pushing it with 2.5, I would run 2.5 cat back to 2.25 axle-back if you were looking for the best performance due to the displacement of the engine. (if you've got a J30)
If you're 4cyl you're better off with a 2.25 single.

Last edited:

kevo

Reaction score
Ok sorry for not being clear lol I'm running a full 3" catback exhaust its custom big as$ resonator.
I don't want to buy a whole new setup just wana add a cat and change up mufflers.

Know since i have this huge setup for this non boosted f23a1 I've been told in the past im looking back pressure = less HP. So since im looking into getting the mag with a 2.5 outlet and 3" inlet to match the pipe will this compensate for the loss of HP, not that I care for the gain, and will this change the sound

Elite1JDM

Reaction score
Ok sorry for not being clear lol I'm running a full 3" catback exhaust its custom big as$ resonator.
I don't want to buy a whole new setup just wana add a cat and change up mufflers.

Know since i have this huge setup for this non boosted f23a1 I've been told in the past im looking back pressure = less HP. So since im looking into getting the mag with a 2.5 outlet and 3" inlet to match the pipe will this compensate for the loss of HP, not that I care for the gain, and will this change the sound

Definitly has no back pressure really. A cat converter will give back pressure. And if you do that with the muffler it will create back pressure and sound a little different. You are still gonna be losing HP. people say that you should go the diameter of the collector(HEADER) on the piping, for best results but 2 1/4 would be best in your situation.

Also just getting a different muffler and cat would sum up all of your problems. Those fart cans only sound good on 240's

Last edited:
Back