my engine is thirsty for oil :(

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
So I verified today that my engine likes to consume oil. I haven't had any leaks under the car or around the engine. Haven't noticed an unusual amount of smoke from the tailpipe (or any smoke for that matter) no oil in the coolant and vice versa.

Its just one damn thirsty engine.

So my last resort, which should have been my first, is a compression test. Will perform one today and post results, wish me luck ;)

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
what color is your exhaust smoke? how does your coolant look?

finch13

Reaction score
If it's not leaking, it's burning. If there's no oil in the coolant, it's burning. If it's burning you probably need piston rings.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
If it's not leaking, it's burning. If there's no oil in the coolant, it's burning. If it's burning you probably need piston rings.

x2

my 4th gen went through a quart every tank of gas. didnt see much in the way of blue smoke, however on a cold startup it did like to puff a little bit. take it on the highway and stomp on it, and have a look in your mirrors. or just have someone follow behind you

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
I've had friends and my girlfriend follow behind me when I stomped on it, none have mentioned any smoke and they are mechanically inclined enough to notice smoke from a tailpipe isn't normal, besides turbo applications which this is not.

Finch, I understand the process of elimination. Which is why I'm doing a compression test. If it yields nil results then the next order would be a leak down.
But thanks for the info.

Ill post results later. If it happens to be the rings then I feel some k20 pistons will soon be filling the cylinders. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
How much oil are we talking about here? 1qrt every 1,000 miles? Every engine burns oil, it just depends on how much if there is a problem.

Check your plugs to see if there is any evidence of oil burning. Do a compression check to see if 1 or 2 cylinders are to blame.

This usually occurs from in-frequent oil changes, hard driving or high mileage engines that are just tired.

Its not really the end of the world, try using thicker oil to help with the consumption until you can figure out when you will pull the engine.

pattywak

Reaction score
So if I am burning some oil a thicker oil will help, like going to a 10w-30 from the recommended 5w-30? Could this have any bad effects?

frantz954

Reaction score
So if I am burning some oil a thicker oil will help, like going to a 10w-30 from the recommended 5w-30? Could this have any bad effects?

no bad effects, you would only benefit from switching to 10w-30. its not like youre switching to gear oil. i run 10w-30 in just about everything.

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
Ok compression test results are in:
Cylinder 1= 180
Cylinder 2= 180
Cylinder 3= 180
Cylinder 4= 180

I'm not sure what the service limit is on these engines, but I have an f23a5 with 103xxx miles using 10w30 mobil 1 conventional oil.

I changed my oil roughly 1500 miles ago, 300 miles after oil change it was half a quart low. Filled it up, and today (approximately 1200 miles after last fill) it was a quart and a half low.

Any suggestions? Cause I'm pretty stumped. I haven't seen an engine consume this much oil that wasn't a turbocharged engine. Oh and my coolant is as green as coolant can be.

Back