My first attempt at rolling shots...

Raymond

Reaction score
c/c always appreciated. I was using the 18-55 IS, taking the pictures right at sunset, shutter speeds varied between 1/60 and 1/8 for the most part. My favorite is the rolling shot of the white Impala, let me know what you all think. At least now I have grounds to improve on.

3452010952_e577c6d585_o.jpg

3451192749_111fba3564_o.jpg

3451192779_077eaa7c79_o.jpg

3451192725_4b07b00c19_o.jpg

3451192827_13127d5069_o.jpg

3452011068_e9f17b3c00_o.jpg

I'll add more to this set once I get a chance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29175511@N02/sets/72157616965353642/

finch13

Reaction score
The Impala one is my fav as well...

This may be a personal preference, but I prefer my rolling shots with the background frozen. As long as the wheels don't freeze, the frame with always show movement. It just looks cleaner having the background frozen, since your in a chase/lead car. It would be different if you were taking pan shots.

Also, I'd shoot wider. Give the car some more room on the frame and place it at one side of the frame, so it leaves room for "where it's gong" or "where it's been" if you understand that. I felt a little claustrophobic with such close crops.

What happened in #2? There is haloing on the horizon, did you attempt an HDR out of a single image to try and brighten up the black 5.0?

IQ and composition are A+ as usual Ray. :thumbsup:

Raymond

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the suggestions. Due to traffic we were stuck within two lanes, and 18mm isn't too wide so I couldn't get much room haha. We had planned on going a little further out of town to shoot on a highway out there that's always empty but we ended up wasting too much time at our friend's house before we left.

And yeah on the black 5.0 pic I used the LucisArt plug in I just got, was more trying it out than anything. It can give crazy HDR-esque results but I don't like it when the pictures come out looking too fake. I kept it toned down, just enough to pull out some detail in the car and to darken the sky a little, but it definitley gave me those damn halos around the power lines. Bleh...

I'm thinking my next lens is going to be the Tokina 11-16 2.8.

finch13

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the suggestions. Due to traffic we were stuck within two lanes, and 18mm isn't too wide so I couldn't get much room haha. We had planned on going a little further out of town to shoot on a highway out there that's always empty but we ended up wasting too much time at our friend's house before we left.

And yeah on the black 5.0 pic I used the LucisArt plug in I just got, was more trying it out than anything. It can give crazy HDR-esque results but I don't like it when the pictures come out looking too fake. I kept it toned down, just enough to pull out some detail in the car and to darken the sky a little, but it definitley gave me those damn halos around the power lines. Bleh...

I'm thinking my next lens is going to be the Tokina 11-16 2.8.

I figured that's what happened. I always have good intentions of doing a shoot or going shooting and then end up wasting time, looking outside at the setting sun, and scrambling to get where I need to be.

I've been eying teh EF-S 10-22 as well as the Tokina and can't decide if I want the larger aperture or the larger focal range.

Any way we could get a larger image of the rolling Impala? :naughty:

Raymond

Reaction score
haha, I'm actually sending that one to a local printer to get matted and framed, gonna turn it in for my creative image assignment for my studio lighting class. My professor really liked the shot so I figured he'd give me a good grade on it lol

What size do joo want?

finch13

Reaction score
haha, I'm actually sending that one to a local printer to get matted and framed, gonna turn it in for my creative image assignment for my studio lighting class. My professor really liked the shot so I figured he'd give me a good grade on it lol

What size do joo want?

My lappy screen is 1440x900, but it doesn't really matter.. :omgbd:

Back