Need Advice for F23A4 Turbo Options

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Boosting an a4 is not pointless the only major difference in the engine is tuning, if your really worried about the restricted head/intake you can swap an a1 head and intake but the 5hp you'd gain would be pointless for what you would spend swapping them. Aem will not communicate with our emissions machines here in va so I'd assume that you would have the same issue since they probably similar systems. Your best bet would be to do a mild build with low boost with an internally gated turbo. save your stock ecu and injectors so when it's time for emissions you can swap the injectors in and the stock ecu then tie the wastegate flapper open so that it can't build boost while you have the stock ecu and injectors installed. Only issue with this is if they also do a visual inspection during your emissions test in which case you'll have to save your stock exhaust components to swap over. Or find an inspector who will pretend he didn't see the turbo under your hood and give your the pass for visual inspection. Since your gonna have to swap out the ecu for emissions no matter what I would suggest running hondata s300 on an obd1 ecu. It's cheaper then aem and would be more then capable of tuning a mild setup like you plan.

As far as internals go the cast pistons in our motors are the weak point. The stock crank is good for a good among of power (not sure if anyone has found the limit on an f23 crank). The rods in our motors are forged from the factory so they'll also hold for your setup without issue. If you want worry free boosting without spending a fortune on internals just swap in some forged pistons and get a good tune. I've been running 10psi on a f23a1 with just cp pistons and new bearings and a good tune and it's still running great after like 5 years.

bluelights81

Reaction score
@x5carl3tMurd3rx, all you have replaced is the pistons, and you're running 10 PSI? I'm really not looking to get crazy, although everyone says boost is addictive. I love driving the car as it is, just want a little kick. It does have 185K on it which was my concern. You mind asking your setup? as far as components? PM if you'd like. Really just trying to do my homework. Also here in NH, I can get an inspection without having them pop the hood, so that's not a problem, mainly because I have some friends. We just can't get around hooking up to pass OBD2 specs. A CEL is an automatic failure. Very curious in what you've done to yours. Any further info is greatly appreciated.

Back