Need Advice, Intermittent stall on freeway

Anwar

Reaction score
Its a 99 accord I4, Manual. The engine dies with no warning, and only high speed like on the highway. Once it comes to stop it will start back up or after a few cranks. I have 210K miles on it. it only does this once a week or couple of times a week. Can this be a sensor issue, I was thinking either fuel cut off issue or power/spark loss. Any advise will be appreciated to what parts or service I should look into.

james'99

Reaction score
Its a 99 accord I4, Manual. The engine dies with no warning, and only high speed like on the highway. Once it comes to stop it will start back up or after a few cranks. I have 210K miles on it. it only does this once a week or couple of times a week. Can this be a sensor issue, I was thinking either fuel cut off issue or power/spark loss. Any advise will be appreciated to what parts or service I should look into.

Do the gauges die when this happens? Meaning, mph goes to 0 etc.

Anwar

Reaction score
I know the rpm gauge goes to 0 but i will see if the speed gauge drops immediately, since the car is still moving the mph should drop as speed drops. from what I read on different boards it seems that the culprit is ignition switch <electrical part>. most have solved the stalling issue by replacing it.

Sino

Reaction score
That'd be my bet. After replacing it mine never had any more issues with starting or stalling.

james'99

Reaction score
Does the car stall when you push in the clutch, or while cruising?

And yeah, electrical portion of the switch is where I am going with this whole thing

Anwar

Reaction score
While cruising, it won't stall for days or couple of weeks and then it will do it again. Only under load 55 mph or above. Would a faulty ignition switch cause a stall more often or the symptoms still points to ignition switch.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
my ignition switch would turn the car off randomly...thankfully it was never on the highway. it would also give me trouble starting sometimes as well. either the first time i get in the car that day, or if i had stopped somewhere. once it was replaced, all was good.

james'99

Reaction score
Well, if the engine dies and the clutch is not being pressed down and you are doing 55 mph, the engine is still doing about 2k rpms in 5th gear even if the gauge says zero. I think ignition switch.

Anwar

Reaction score
Do you think a evap canister leak P1456 and P1457 code would cause a stall, because It's giving that code. I kind of ruled that out since it's more for emissions. let me know your thoughts

james'99

Reaction score
Not particularly. Has it happened again? Have you observed the gauges? Jiggle the key while the car is running and apply pressure towards you. As much as you can without actually turning it and see if it shuts off.

Back