Need Advice

capsidx

Reaction score
An update on my ride (i'm such a thread ***** at the moment)

So after yesterdays little fiasco where my car magically ran out of coolant, i noticed I havent lost any so far. Its strange that all these things started to happen at once isnt it lol. I've been leaking puddles of oil everywhere and well not being paid until friday makes me paranoid as I dont have anymore 5 w 30. That being said today I pulled off the intake manifold to find my leak and it was of course my newly installed oil pressure gauge. It appeared to be leaking from where the line goes into the fitting. Anyways I did what any sensible person would and covered it in jb weld. Hopefully that works because I have a rear main seal leak and after I fix that I want to see no more puddles lol. How about you guys, what have you been up to?

phi1542

Reaction score
It really depends on how much you like the Accord. My first 6GA had tons of problems when I first got it. One thing broke after another and I spent tons of money fixing it up. It was worth it to me because I really liked the car. After fixing it up all the way to my liking it got totaled so I bought another one LOL

capsidx

Reaction score
You're one of the lucky ones lol. Thats my biggest fear to be honest.

capsidx

Reaction score
Yet another update on the broke arse accord

I was driving to work the other day when I saw the thing no car owner wants to see. The d4 light was blinking when I looked down at the gauges and I nearly died on the spot. The light did stop blinking but I know it will be back. My transmission has been shifting real rough for years and its been getting worse. We all know the deal with these. Just did a fluid change less than 1000 miles ago. So now this puts me in a bit of a tight spot. I can either go to the junkyard and get another slushbox AT or I can save for manual trans and hope I can do it all in a weekend. This sucks :Boo:

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
Not a good idea but...

Recently i've sprung a leak in my radiator that caused me to lose all the coolant in the reservoir and radiator. Long story short I didnt have money for coolant at the time so I had to use water. I must say that water seems to do a much better job than coolant. Although I've heard its not good for the water pump and it can corrode the engine from the inside, I will replace it with coolant but im thinking something like a 75 to 25 mix of coolant and water instead of the 50/50. Just a trivial fyi for everyone lol

thurman.

Reaction score
Re: Not a good idea but...

Recently i've sprung a leak in my radiator that caused me to lose all the coolant in the reservoir and radiator. Long story short I didnt have money for coolant at the time so I had to use water. I must say that water seems to do a much better job than coolant. Although I've heard its not good for the water pump and it can corrode the engine from the inside, I will replace it with coolant but im thinking something like a 75 to 25 mix of coolant and water instead of the 50/50. Just a trivial fyi for everyone lol

Not a good idea. Winter is not good for that. Water freezes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capsidx

Reaction score
Re: Not a good idea but...

I live in south florida, winter is null and void here lol. I dont want to corrode my engine though so ill be changing that out this weekend

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Even if the water doesn't freeze, antifreeze does more than that in your cooling system.

1. Prevents rust. Antifreeze has anti-corrosion properties which prevent you from getting rust in your engine. Rust scales inhibit heat transfer and make your cooling system less effective, even if the scaling isn't bad enough to damage the integrity of your engine block. Note that this effect doens't last forever, and is one of the primary reasons why a coolant flush and change is recommended periodically.

2. Provides lubrication. Glycol is one of the primary lubricants for the water pump, as wsell as the thermostat assembly. After all, you can't put oil in there. Excessive wear on the water pump bearings isn't a good thing on an engine where the water pump is driven by the timing belt. (I don't know that I really like that idea myself.) Particularly when it's an interference engine and a snapped timing belt means a complete engine rebuild, or new engine.

That said, straight water has better thermal properties over glycol, meaning that if you can keep the corrosion down, it's a more effective cooling system. Products like water wetter have the anti-corrosion properties, and I believe that they cover at least some of the lubrication needs. I live in Canada, where winter and freezing is definitely a thing, therefore I've never bothered with anything but a good antifreeze mix. I do know people who use straight water for racing though.

One recommendation, regardless is to use distilled water. It can usually be bought at a drug store cheaply enough, you're probably looking at less than $5 for all the water your cooling system will need for a 75/25 mix. Distilled water won't leave mineral scale on things, since it doesn't have the minerals in it to settle out.

Last edited:

kalifa

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 92 Impreza outback sport 5 speed. It's not half bad but I prefer my 5 speed sedan in almost every way over my Subaru.

Back