Need help matching subs with an amp

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
While you point out a very valid statement you are missing the value it passes. You simply don't want to run anything under 2 ohms if you want sound quality.

While 2 and 4 ohms can be much more efficient and clean, they also don't push as much power... theoretically due to resistance. Each amp has it's owm amp/power curve so it would be unfare to say 1ohm amps are stronger than 2/4 ohm amplifiers. Price is also a big factor. For example a clean 1ohm 1600w RMS amp built in Korea costs about $700. A handbuilt amp built in USA like ZED (I think) or Arc (for sure 100% hand made in USA) will cost you double to triple that.

It takes A LOT to audibly hear the difference between these amps. Normally at higher volumes you will notice the most.

I suggest a head unit with at least 4V pre-outs for 1KW rms+ BTW.
i know all about cheap amps :ugh: have a korean one in my car for the past few years. back in the day, it was like $150 for 400 watts :lawl: its worked fine and is one of the rare examples of a cheap MA amp lasting. (i am going to move to US-made amps sometime.)

zed are made in the usa, while arc has outsourced some designs to china (or had them ripped off?). the mini amp is one...can't think of the model number...

i WISH i wouldn't have to buy anything made in 3rd world countries, but thats the reality of the day.
sq and electrical
yup. your mtx jackhammer is waiting for you in the corner :lawl:

xx24xx

Reaction score
Yeah both Arc's mini and the Foose line are made in China. They are still nice for what they are. The Signature Series is hand built by Robert Zeff himself. I too will upgrade to Arc some day. Not all amps made over seas are bad. There's Sinfoni, Hertz, Audison, etc etc etc. My amps are probly some of the best made in Korea. They are very clean, but not Arc clean, and run a bit hotter. You don't necessarily need state of the art clean to hit 140+db lol. Build quality and performance are much greater than Memphis though (another more popular Korean amp).

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
my somewhat newer eclipse amp was made in japan circa 2005-6...that was surprising. also managed to buy my mb component set in late 2005 that were made in germany even after the maxxsonincs takeover in 05 :thinking:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I got a few cheap sub setups in the past, they really aren't much fun because if you are the type to want to crank it from time to time, chances are 100w RMS subs aren't going to tolerate that for too long.

I would suggest if you can afford to upgrade the subs/amp rather than trying to do what you can with a not very quality sub setup(possible reason for getting them for free?). I would save your $$$ and even if it's a low end setup that doesn't break the bank, go with that.

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
yea the subs will be getting upgraded in the future. For now since I have the subs, I'll power them with an amp that can be used later when i upgrade the subs too.

eggyhustles

Reaction score
I got a few cheap sub setups in the past, they really aren't much fun because if you are the type to want to crank it from time to time, chances are 100w RMS subs aren't going to tolerate that for too long.

I would suggest if you can afford to upgrade the subs/amp rather than trying to do what you can with a not very quality sub setup(possible reason for getting them for free?). I would save your $$$ and even if it's a low end setup that doesn't break the bank, go with that.

you should do the same :peace:

Back