NEED HELP! System fuel too lean..P0171 error code!

com520

Reaction score
well, i don't have any tools to be able to check the voltage of the o2 sensor. My engine light showed up again. I have just replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and my car is working all right...but we'll c in a couple of days if the engine light shows up again. if it does I guess I will finally take it to the mechanic..lol..EVENTHOUGH, MY CAR IS kind of old and sensors go bad, so eventhough replacing a sensor with a new one, is one less problem in the future..FOR ME ITS A PLUS PLUS !

001Stunna

Reaction score
well, i don't have any tools to be able to check the voltage of the o2 sensor. My engine light showed up again. I have just replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and my car is working all right...but we'll c in a couple of days if the engine light shows up again. if it does I guess I will finally take it to the mechanic..lol..EVENTHOUGH, MY CAR IS kind of old and sensors go bad, so eventhough replacing a sensor with a new one, is one less problem in the future..FOR ME ITS A PLUS PLUS !

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MS509-code-reade...tive_Tools&hash=item3a620b859e#ht_2067wt_1139

Best bang for the buck tool you can buy in my opinion. Can reset your CEL, read it and give you a wide variety of sensor readings and graphs from A-Z. Also if you want to make your money back for buying it just put some ads on kijiji and offer to clear/scan ppls codes for $5-10.

com520

Reaction score
A friend ended up checking the voltages of the Oxygen sensors, both oxygens are around .67 Volts.. Now, are this voltages on the right range. My engine lights turns off and on at any time... and the code keeps being p0171 ANY IDEAS Now that i know the voltages...

Oxygen sensor in front of engine: .66v
Oxygen sensor in the bottom: .67v

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

001Stunna

Reaction score
A friend ended up checking the voltages of the Oxygen sensors, both oxygens are around .67 Volts.. Now, are this voltages on the right range. My engine lights turns off and on at any time... and the code keeps being p0171 ANY IDEAS Now that i know the voltages...

Oxygen sensor in front of engine: .66v
Oxygen sensor in the bottom: .67v

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

How did you test the voltages?
O2 voltages are supposed to move quite frequently and not stay in one place. If they are staying in a straight line then something is wrong.

The first O2 is supposed to range anywhere from 0.2v-0.8v...the one on the cat is supposed to stay farely consistent with minimal up and down ranges if your cat is working properly.

I have a feeling you/your friend wasn't quite right in how/method of measurements. The easiest way to test the voltages would be with an OBD2 Scanner that has live reading feature.
ie
cat_graphs.gif

Last edited:

com520

Reaction score
No, it wasn't overheating. I had it parked then i had to go to frys buy something. On my way to fry's, a lot of smoke came from the hood, i stopped at shell open up the hood. Then i saw the hose busted, from the side of the engine. THen i had to drive back to the house. on the way to the house, yes it was overheating because it was without water. but i did stop several times..Also i think this cars have some kind of chip that doesn't let the engine to overheat because the car wasn't reponsive when the temperature was getting a little high. that's when i had to stop because it wasn't going. SO it was several times..BUT i can tell you that after that happen, i replace the hose and I took it to the mechanic so he can check it because right away i started to have problems with it. Then he saw that my radiator was kind of busted too. water was leaking from it, but not a lot. this has been fixed. Also i changed both hoses. I don't think that cause my problem... Ama try to take it to a mechanic to see what they tell me...i'll keep this thread posted...

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
No, it wasn't overheating. I had it parked then i had to go to frys buy something. On my way to fry's, a lot of smoke came from the hood, i stopped at shell open up the hood. Then i saw the hose busted, from the side of the engine. THen i had to drive back to the house. on the way to the house, yes it was overheating because it was without water. but i did stop several times..Also i think this cars have some kind of chip that doesn't let the engine to overheat because the car wasn't reponsive when the temperature was getting a little high. that's when i had to stop because it wasn't going. SO it was several times..BUT i can tell you that after that happen, i replace the hose and I took it to the mechanic so he can check it because right away i started to have problems with it. Then he saw that my radiator was kind of busted too. water was leaking from it, but not a lot. this has been fixed. Also i changed both hoses. I don't think that cause my problem... Ama try to take it to a mechanic to see what they tell me...i'll keep this thread posted...

Sounds like how an engine runs when the ECT gets too hot or too cold because there is no coolant on it. Nothing computer related.

As far as your lean code... probably not an oxygen sensor. Most likely a vacuum leak somewhere... like a PCV valve or hose, or a bad intake manifold gasket or leaking injector O-rings.

2 ways to test: spray carb cleaner around the injectors/gaskets/hoses, anywhere air can sneak into the engine without being accounted for by the MAP sensor. 1) Listen for a drop in idle speed or 2) watch the short term fuel trims on a scan tool. They will spike on the positive side (lean out fuel) because of the excess hydrocarbons entering the engine.

And, you can't check O2 sensors with a multimeter, it has to be a lab scope. The meter can't refresh fast enough and will only provide you with an average value, i.e. 0.66V.

com520

Reaction score
okay, i took it to a mechanic and he said that i needed to replaced both oxygen sensors...i have replaced both oxygen sensors an now the car runs good....i will wait to see if the engine light shows up again, I will still be updating this thread...

com520

Reaction score
okay, gas milage was horrible when my car was bad, now is doing half a tank close or a little bit more 100 miles...tats usually around $15 to $20 drs is this normal...NOW...

hunt98accord

Reaction score
Yes but usauly that throws an o2 code not just a 171 hmm try something as simple as fuel injector cleaner if that fails I've had it work plenty of times and its really the main code I get working at auto zone. Theres just alot of things make it happen but if its not showing the o2 its usauly something to do with fuel but it cant be to bad or ud be getting skip codes. I guess it could be the O2s though I've never seen it

Back