need help to get my car running right again!

redhondapwns

Reaction score
ok the car is a 98 honda accord coupe it's a v6. It's COMPLETELY STOCK! no modifications to the engine what so ever. Now I have about 189k miles on her and a week ago I got the p1259 CEL code.

I have done the following and im STILL getting the same issue of the rev limiter at 3k!

1. The oil has been changed! and is at the correct level.
2. I have replaced the vtec solenoid! and I cleaned out the little screen catcher as well.
3. I have also replaced the vtec switch.
4. I gave it a tune up. (new spark plugs (NKG's), new wires, new rotor, and cap.

what else can I do? I just spent almost $300 this week alone on all this ****.

I'm thinking I should recheck and see if the vtec switch is connected correctly, they may be the problem. I haven't checked it since I installed it about 2days ago since it's been so cold and we got about 8inches of snow. I'll will check it out on Sat since it's going to be warm enough. along with any other ideas that I get from you guys/gals.

With that being said what else can I check for? besides making sure the vtec is connected correctly?

redhondapwns

Reaction score
I changed it no more than a week ago. and it was qaker performance oil... it was on sale.. lol $15 for the oil and filter.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
well my dads 4cyl had the same problem and we checked everything.. but it turned out that the ecu went bad... just like that... out of nowhere.... so maybe try a new ecu and might fix it..

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
p1259 = VTEC system malfunction
good luck...sorry couldnt help you.
i too have the stupid check engine light :jerkit:

redhondapwns

Reaction score
p1259 = VTEC system malfunction
good luck...sorry couldnt help you.
i too have the stupid check engine light :jerkit:

I know what the code is but I changed the two parts.. the only other thing I could think of would be an 02 censor... but idk

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
damn a new ecu is gonna be expensive... how do I know if it's bad or not?

well my mechanic just so happend to have the exact ecu for the 98 4cyl so we just swaped it out and bam.. it worked....

maybe you can find another car like yours to test swap to see if thats the problem or pick up a used one at a junkyard... but make sure its the same model as your car

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Did you clear the code? If not try that and see if it comes back.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Did the problem start before or after you changed your oil?

And by what kind of oil, I meant what weight.

Last edited:
Back