Need Quick Advice. Rear bearing making noise - when should I get it fixed?

lektrix

Reaction score
You can hear a loud whining noise when driving from 70-100KM/h+. At 40-60km/h it's still noticeable but not that bad.

Two mechanics say it has to be fixed immediately (safety issue). Another says 1-2 months. Another says 6 months.

When should it be changed?
How much does it cost? (average quote was 120 for parts, 60 for labour)
Do both sides have to be changed at the same time?

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
When you start hearing that funny noise, like you are hearing now ---> replace them.

How much does it cost? --> $125 per OEM bearing assembly from an online dealer.

Replace both sides at the same time? --> If you can afford it, I would do both sides while it is in the shop.

** If you can find a shop that has a warranty on their work, use that one.

Jimsun

Reaction score
I would personally do one wheel if you know which side it is.

I'd buy the part from rockauto for $3x and get pay the mech to do it (you can do it but you need access to a shop press)

If you decide you just have the mech buy from his supplier, make sure it's SKF and that when the bearing comes, it's in a blue skf box.

The later you get this fixed the more tire wear you will experience.

fix later = more tire wear = new tires sooner = more $$$

There's no safety concern with a bad bearing. I once drove my 97 CB for 2 years with a bad rear ps bearing. I bought 2 tires with 80% thread. replaced it 2x. paid for the tire and the balance/installation. It still had the bearing issue when i sold it

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need a press for the rear bearings, only the fronts. The rears are all one unit.

You could do the rears yourself in a garage with a friend. It's just like doing a brake job essentially except you'll need the 36mm axle nut to remove the hub.

Jimsun

Reaction score
You don't need a press for the rear bearings, only the fronts. The rears are all one unit.

You could do the rears yourself in a garage with a friend. It's just like doing a brake job essentially except you'll need the 36mm axle nut to remove the hub.

Ah yes you're right. I drive a drum/disc combo so i forget about those with rear disc

001Stunna

Reaction score
Ah yes you're right. I drive a drum/disc combo so i forget about those with rear disc

Rear drums are no different...actually easier then rear discs I'd say when it comes to bearings.

Op. If going aftermarket I'd use only timken, national or skf.

lektrix

Reaction score
I would personally do one wheel if you know which side it is.

I'd buy the part from rockauto for $3x and get pay the mech to do it (you can do it but you need access to a shop press)

If you decide you just have the mech buy from his supplier, make sure it's SKF and that when the bearing comes, it's in a blue skf box.

The later you get this fixed the more tire wear you will experience.

fix later = more tire wear = new tires sooner = more $$$

There's no safety concern with a bad bearing. I once drove my 97 CB for 2 years with a bad rear ps bearing. I bought 2 tires with 80% thread. replaced it 2x. paid for the tire and the balance/installation. It still had the bearing issue when i sold it

No safety concern? How come the mechs say that the wheel can fall off then? Scare tactics??

Where can I buy the parts cheaper in Toronto or Canada???

001Stunna

Reaction score
My mech said the brand is NTN for $120

That's national. Locally you can try hotspotautoparts to see if they can get the part cheaper then the mechanic. However if the difference is not much i'd just go with that as chances are the mechanic will also offer some means of warranty on parts/labor.

If you want to try a different mechanic you can try and get a quote from...
360Auto-markham
iGarage-markham
BLine Mechanics-mississauga
AllAboutImports-mississauga

The rears are honestly extremely easy to DIY though if you feel like doing it.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. If it's just one bearing, you could turn to find out what bearing it is. Mine was the right wheel bearing, and if I turned right with the weight off it, it would not make noise. Just a tip to help you out.

But you have rear drums, I have discs. It should be the same, but don't quote me on that

Back